Question about reinstall opensuse

Hi,

I messed up some files and plan to reinstall opensuse.
The problem is I want to restore my pc to the state as it was before the installation of opensuse.
I know faintly there’s a ‘hdd partition table’. I assume when the machine boots, it reads this partition table, then loads grub.
If I delete/format the suse partitions in windows, the grub file is surely erased. But will the ‘hdd partition table’ retract to the state as it was before suse’ installation?
Thanks in advance.

Why do you have to delete the SuSE-partitions before reinstalling? The install-routine is able to read an existing /etc/fstab (← that’s the file) and use it again; if I remember correctly it even does so automatically and ask you for confirmation.

By the way: you could learn a lot more by trying to fix the problem instead of reinstalling.

I want to restore my pc to the state as it was before the installation of opensuse
It’s OK to delete partitions from within the running windows program. The partition table will remember what happened for both Linux and windows operating systems (and others too). But that will not get rid of Grub entirelly. The danger is that Grub code stays in the Master Boot Record pointing off to the partition where SuSE was and is no longer and it could fail at that point, thoroughly confused. So two things more as described below:

If you want the machine back to the “before” state then two more things must happen:

One thing: While you’re deleting the Linux partitions (using the windows partitioner located at Control Panel –> Admin Tools –> Computer Management –> Storage –> Disk Management local) check that the partition that carries the boot files is set as the “System” partition. [The boot files are bootmgr in vista and boot.ini in xp].

Other thing: Restore the windows generic boot code to the drive’s master Boot Record. I don’t know if you’ve got xp por vista so I’ll copy a quote in here on how to do that for both:

* • Windows 2000/XP on the computer: Boot from the XP/2000 installation disk and proceed to the final screen where you have the option to Repair Your Computer. Press "R" for Repair and log onto the Windows installation. When the command prompt appears, enter the command fixmbr. Confirm "yes" and you will receive confirmation of the reinstallation of Windows bootstrap code into the MBR. Enter exit and the computer will reboot.
* • Windows Vista on the computer: Boot from the Vista installation disk and proceed to the final screen where you have the option to Repair Your Computer. Select Repair but do not opt for the automatic repair plus restart. Instead select Next and then select the Command Prompt. Enter bootrec.exe /FixMbr in the console and follow that with the command exit. Then select to reboot.

That’s from here: Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista - any mix) with Windows bootloader.

(1) is grub simply a ‘file’ located in that file group in suse? but it seems that grub also resides in the special area on the hdd, namely the MBR, which needs fixed as you referred to.
(2) how to delele a partition(called ‘logic drive’ in windows xp)? Right click and choose ‘delete the logic drive’? is there better methods?
(3) deletion of partitions comes first, then to fix the MBR, right?

Grub is complex. It has code in the MBR and in the openSUSE partition in a file called menu.lst which carries the menu you see on screen. When you boot the grub code in the MBR hands the booting process off to menu.lst to display the choices for booting. And so on from there.

So you’ve got to clear the Grub code in the MBR or it will cause the booting process to go look for menu.lst.

(2) how to delele a partition(called ‘logic drive’ in windows xp)? Right click and choose ‘delete the logic drive’? is there better methods?

That’s the correct method.

(3) deletion of partitions comes first, then to fix the MBR, right?
Not really important. But check the “System” partition flag is set correctly at the same time the Linux partitions are deleted.

Thanks for your answers!
is there a standalone windows recovery console? I don’t have a windows cd now.

is there a standalone windows recovery console?

I think you can do the same thing from openSUSE –> system –> bootloader –> other –> restore MBR of hard disk

does this restore MBR to the condition before suse’ installation?
if it is, then you will not be able to enter opensuse on next reboot, and won’t see the grub screen because mbr has been revoked.

does this restore MBR to the condition before suse’ installation?
It should restore the MBR code that was saved when Grub was installed – it will tell you the date and ask whether you want to proceed. Presumably that was when it was booting from windows – but think about that.

If that’s the case, openSUSE will no longer be listed at boot time and you can proceed to windows partitioner and delete it.

An interesting link: MBRwizard! - The MBR Management Utility

Let me report some problems:
(I didn’t find time to do it till these days)
after deleting the three suse partitions, PartitionMagic8.0 was able to start. after some minor work, the ‘‘fstab’’ now looks like:
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu352/kulin/pwersnot.jpg
since E: has the most space, I want to free some space from it. but the problem is if I do that, PartitionMagic would give “error 1529 (information mismatch in direct entry)”

the official explaination is :
#1529 Information mismatch in directory entry
A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute stored in its directory entry. If this error is in a system file (file 0–10), Windows NT CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the partition the next time the operating system is started.

pls refer to: PartitionMagic 8.0 error messages and solutions

most solutions found from google are chkdsk /f [relative partition]. but this proved not work.

this is a windows problem, but it has something to do with opensuse. When suse was installed, it takes some area from E: . Now some areas of E: was used by suse. I used PartitionMagic to combine these areas to E: after the deletion operation. Maybe a simple deletion does not mean to erase the data on them.
I don’t know what to do now?
Thanks for your help!

Can you please describe what files are on C, D, E, F & G.
[By the way, F appears to be full]

C is system partition; D is for programs including cygwin, pagefile and temp, tmp, plus internet temporary files.
E, F and G are storage of all kinds of resources. F was already full before installing suse.
when installing suse, I adopted its recommended configuration, which takes some place from E and some from G. I can’t remember exactly.
but for some info about this, i found out these backup:

fdisk:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xcccdcccd

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1057 7990888+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 1058 10337 70156800 f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
/dev/sda5 1058 3495 18431248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 3496 5325 13834768+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 6205 8236 15361888+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 8237 9645 10652008+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda9 9646 9851 1550241 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda10 9851 10336 3670821 83 Linux
/dev/sda11 5369 6204 6313513+ 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order

which verifies the previous recall.

All I can suggest is to move the data from E and if windows will let you, delete it and then recreate it and put the data back on. If windows won’t let you delete it, then reformat it and put the data back on.

But I’m no expert in these things.

If you have enough storage else where, perhaps delete e, f & g and then recreate them and restore the data.

But I’m no expert at windows manipulations.