Qualcom Atheros wireless network adapter -- cannot turn it on

New to openSUSE. Recently installed Leap 42.3 on desktop Dell. The wireless adapter is a Qualcom Atheros QCA9565/AR9565. Although the ethernet connection works fine, there is no connectivity indicator icon in the tray at the bottom of the screen, so I cannot turn on the wireless network adapter.

I’m not even sure if the appropriate driver is installed. I opened YAST and poked around, and it looks correctly configured, but I’m not experienced enough to be sure.

Leads to these questions:

1. How can I turn on the wireless network adapter? When I was running Ubuntu on this machine, the wireless manager simply scanned the area, I selected my wireless account and put my password in a dialog box, and it worked. I understand that KDE is different…but I can’t get it to work.

2. Is there a widget or something that I can select to manage my wireless connectivity?

3. How can I ensure that the proper drivers are installed? Perhaps this is the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Best, pino

The first thing to know is that openSUSE provides two frameworks for managing network connections: Wicked and NetworkManager. Running one of the following will help tell which is in use currently…

ps -A|egrep -i "net|wick"

or

systemctl status network

For wireless connectivity (and changing network environments frequently), NetworkManager is the way to go, and will provide the graphical icon you’re referring to. To change to NM fire up yast…

YaST > System > Network Settings > Global Options Tab, choose NetworkManager to manage the network

Reference:
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.nm.html#sec.nm.activate

For the hardware side of things you can check the chipset and driver details using

/sbin/lspci -nnk |grep '\02' -A3

*This will report all network class (02) devices connected to a PCI bus.

Alternatively, the hwinfo command…

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard

You can check if network device nodes (including wireless) are present with

ip a

On Thu 14 Dec 2017 08:06:02 PM CST, deano ferrari wrote:

For the hardware side of things you can check the chipset and driver
details using

Code:

sbin/lspci -nnk |grep ‘\02’ -A3

*This will report all network class (02) devices connected to a PCI bus.

Alternatively, the hwinfo command…

Code:

/usr/sbin/hwinfo --netcard

You can check if wireless device nodes are presnt with

Code:

ip a

Hi
Could also be a physical switch or a soft block so also need to check
with rfkill (needs installing).

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thank you, Deano! This worked!lol!

Thanks, Malcolm!

Glad to have been of guidance. :slight_smile: