Quake in New Zealand

There has been a big quake in Christchurch, New Zealand with a magnitude of 6.3 at a depth of 5km and centered 10km south-east of Christchurch. More details on it here:
BBC News - ‘Deaths’ after quake hits Christchurch in New Zealand
Deaths, destruction in Christchurch quake | Stuff.co.nz

This one comes after the one that hit in September last year. The damage is said to be far worse then the September one.

There sure seems to have been so much of this kind of thing.
Hope all goes as well as can be expected under the circumstances…

65 confirmed dead - so far.

This is terrible. My partner’s family live In Christchurch. Telecommunications are damaged and / or overloaded so it is very difficult to contact people. I was due to go down to Christchurch next week.

Christchurch has been described as New Zealand’s most English city and had a special character. Architecturally, there are many fine examples of Gothic revival. Many historic buildings had been already damaged in the 'quake last September. Today’s 'quake has no doubt doomed many of those buildings. The fine, iconic Anglican Cathedral - Christchurch’s heart - spared by the last 'quake, has been severly damaged. People may have been inside at the time of quake, which struck around midday. Of course, buildings are mere vessels and can be replaced: people cannot.

The Sept 2010 'quake, although larger on the Richter scale than today’s quake, did less damage. Today’s quake is technically an aftershock, but because it was shallow and closer to central Christchurch, it has caused considerbly more material damage. In September’s 'quake, no-one died.

I live in Wellington - NZ’s capital - which is, as the crow files, approx. 190 miles north of Christchurch. Wellington is built on or near major earthquake fault lines: indeed, it is technically more at risk of a devasting earthquake than Christchurch. Wellingtonians are rather jumpy at the moment. The 1855 Wairarapa quake - when Wellington was a relatively new, small settlement - was the most powerful quake recorded since European settlement of NZ (8.2 Richter), but very few people died. There were massive changes to the landscape with large vertical lifting and lateral spreading.

The worst NZ earthquake was in Hawkes Bay, 1931, which destroyed the port of Napier: 256 people died.

Not good news at all… :frowning:

from an ex Wellingtonian…

Sorry for the loss. In Hellas media(Εθνική Ραδιοφωνική τηλεόραση or ΕΡΤ En:Ethniki radiofoniki tileorasi) is in the headlines Φονικός σεισμός στη Νέα Ζηλανδία - ΕΡΤ Ειδησεις](http://news.ert.gr/el/kosmos/eidiseis/60621-fonikos-seismos-sti-nea-zilandia) . Fortunatelly there are not Greek victims.
Newsbeast.gr | ΚΟΣΜΟΣ : Ισχυρός σεισμός στη Νέα Ζηλανδία

Is this city near Auckland?

The same earthquke we had in 1999 in Hellas with many Victims.>:(

Is this city near Auckland?

No, Christchurch is quite far away from Auckland:
http://www.busnz.co.nz/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=7,1,Documents&MediaID=146&Filename=BusNZ_Map.gif

From what I’m seeing on the news it looks horrible. No doubt there will be more bad news to come as rescuers dig through rubble. :open_mouth:

I hope we can do whatever it takes to help you.

I hear that hellnic air force will send help.

I hope it.

It is always sad to read or hear about loss of life. So the best thing i can say is that mourn with the people.
Natur can struck at any moment and where i live, we expect the big one sometime now.
Best wishes to all of New Zealanders.

Hellas men are with New Zealand. We will try to save money to help New Zealand to overcome this disaster.