Qestion upgrade leap15.2 to 15.3

Hello, just one question. To upgrade from previous releases I did the process with only two repositories being active: repo_oss and repo_update

I realized that leap 15.3 is using two additional repos: repo-backports-update and repo-sle-update

The question is if I need to setup these two repositories during the upgrade process or only after the upgrade is completed.

Thank for help.

If you wait, your upgrade won’t be complete until after you enable them, followed by an update.

OK, thanks, then I will add them before doing the upgrade process; I guess it is safe to do the upgrade in this way, with all four repositories active.

Sorry, but in this case I do not understand what you say (maybe lack of English understanding).

The OP is doing nothing but waiting for people her to advise. Thus when you say “if you wait …” nothing will happen anymore but waiting and waiting. Waiting for what?

I am also still planning such an upgrade, which I want to to with the “online” method, using releasever=15.3 (all my present repos have the $releasever in place). My impression is that the two new repos are added during the upgrade process and that thus nothing has to be done, neither before nor after the upgrade. Isn’t that true?

No. These two repositories are added when updated openSUSE-release package from 15.3 is installed. If you start with 15.2 with default repositories, then upgrade will only upgrade packages from standard OSS Update repository including openSUSE-release. Only now you will have two additional repositories and will need to do update once more to catch up.

Hello,
As I understand the releasever=15.3 option is only a smart way to change the version in the respositories stored in /etc/zypp/repos.d
However, I did not known that new respositories are added during the zypper dup process. Maybe someone with more knowledge on what happens can through light.

OK, thanks, this clarifies the thing.
Thank you.

Thanks for that. So the steps are:

• One does a zypper ref, zypper dup from the 15.3 repos one has already on 15.2 (either by using the releasever mechanism or by changing the URLs manually)
  • This will give you de newer packages from OSS, OSS-Update, non_OSS and non-OSS-update, including a package (named openSUSE-release) that will, during the installation (probably a %post script), add the two new repos.
  • After this zypper dup is completed, you still need a zypper up (or a zypper dup???) to get newer packages from these two new update repos.

Thus no preparation (what was the question of the OP IIAC), but an afterburner is to be done.

(And you may of course want to change aliases/names of the two new repos. In my experience automatic added repos often have very strange names and certainly aliases.)

My guess is that the second time you have to do zypper up, but I am not completely sure.

That is why I asked @avidjaar, he is the guru :slight_smile:

I do not know. I did upgrade from 15.1 and AFAIR I did never repeated dup. Logically these two repositories contain only updates; so you must be able to upgrade to 15.3 without them, they are optional.

Or do “zypper --relasever=15.3 in openSUSE-release” as the very first step to get these repositories before dup. Or define them manually.

After*** zypper dup*** to upgrade to Leap 15.3, zypper up will update with packages from the 2 new Repos.
They are important because you will get some updates only in these Repos, f. e. kernel update.

v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.34.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.27.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.24.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.19.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.16.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.13.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.10.1            | x86_64 | OSS
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.10.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
v  | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.5.2             | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
vR | kernel-default                 | Paket      | 5.3.18-59.30.1            | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15

Thank you both. I think it is logical now (at least for me).

You can upgrade without adding those repos.

The first update you do, after the upgrade, will add those repos. And then another update will be available because of the new repos.

When you upgrade today using standard OSS Updates repository, this upgrade will add those two additional repositories. If you upgrade using base OSS repostiory only (like in offline update) they will probably be missing (I think maintainers managed to miss those additional repositories also in Leap 15.3 refresh).

Direct upgrade from Leap 15.1 to 15.3 is not supported.
Use 15.1 -> 15.2 -> 15.3 chain.

OT.

Just because it isn’t supported doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Obviously arvidjaar managed somehow. So did I. One reason for lack of support is lack of programmed QA testing. The packagers and QA people have more than enough to do without supporting a process few would care about.

Actually there are QA tests for upgrade from each version starting with Leap 42. Whether anyone responds to failures is another matter.

I did the upgrade in two laptops and it works as described here. Wonderful product and service.
Thanks to all.