python-kdebase4 not installed

hello all…
continuing adventures of the zypper upgrade issues I was having as discussed in this post:

Could not start kdeinit4. check your installation - openSUSE Forums

I upgraded using zypper dup, as instructed, but that seems to have broken a number of things. I rectified those, as before, using the GNOME GUI of yast to upgrade all packages from the KDE 4.2 build service. But there was one error: python-kde4 complained of having an unmet dependency.

The system now runs normally, except for a couple of symptoms:

(1) desktop items in the desktop folder plasmoid now appear without icons and do not work.
(2) the “information” notification icon in the system tray does not auto-hide.
(3) a delay of a few seconds at boot just before the desktop appears which was not there before.

I think this may be because the package python-kdebase4 is not installed.

I figured the next update would iron this out, so I waited a couple of days. But an upgrade earlier today failed to fix the problem.

When I checked out the situation with yast, python-kde4 and some other python packages showed available upgrades, but claimed to depend on an svn snaphot package called something like python-kde4-4.2.86svnxx.xx-snapshot-20090507, which they asked me to install. I confirmed the vendor change and installed it.

The symptoms are still there, and I find that python-kdebase4 is still not installed on my system, even though the most recent revision of the package in the kde build service repo is dated from today. When I try to install it, it claims to depend on python-kde4-4.2.85, which is not available. How can I fix this?

Thank you again,
adpads

You can safely ignore this dependency and install python-kde4-4.2.86svn. It will be fixed in the next build.

For some reason it won’t let me ignore the dependency:

yace@sabre:~> sudo zypper install python-kdebase4
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

Problem: nothing provides python-kde4 = 4.2.85 needed by python-kdebase4-4.2.85-262.2.i586
 Solution 1: do not ask to install a solvable providing python-kdebase4

Choose the above solution using '1' or cancel using 'c' [1/C]:

how can I install python-kdebase4?
Am I correct that I need to install that package?

thanks again
adpads