pure-ftpd installation does not create user ftp

I’ve just realized that installation of package pure-ftpd in OpenSUSE Leap 15.0 does not create neither the ftp system user nor the ftp system group.

Pure-ftpd installation in previous versions did create this user and this group.

As a consequence starting the service fails.

computer:/etc/pure-ftpd # systemctl start pure-ftpd.service
computer:/etc/pure-ftpd # systemctl status pure-ftpd.service
● pure-ftpd.service - Pure-FTPd FTP server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/pure-ftpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Fri 2019-05-31 13:31:44 CEST; 2s ago
Process: 4668 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pure-ftpd /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 4668 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

May 31 13:31:44 computer systemd[1]: Started Pure-FTPd FTP server.
May 31 13:31:44 computer pure-ftpd[4668]: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to find the ‘ftp’ account
May 31 13:31:44 computer pure-ftpd[4668]: Unable to start a standalone server: Cannot assign requested address
May 31 13:31:44 computer pure-ftpd[4668]: (?@?) [ERROR] Unable to start a standalone server: [Cannot assign requested address]

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

No.

boven:~ # grep '^ftp:' /etc/passwd
ftp:x:40:49:FTP account:/srv/ftp:/bin/bash
boven:~ # grep '^ftp:' /etc/group
ftp:x:49:
boven:~ # 

I am pretty sure that I never created them manualy, but I do not know if they were there already before I installed pure-ftp.

I do think however that it is more likely they are part of the general openSUSE installation then of the pure-ftp installation. After all, all ftpd products would need them, thus it is easier to have them from the very beginning.

Please post a bug report.

The package “system-user-ftp” should set up the “ftp” user and group.

That “system-user-ftp” ought to be a dependency of pure-ftpd, but apparently it isn’t. That’s why a bug report is needed to get this fixed.

Hm, sounds logical. One package that creates them as a dependency of every FTP server package.

The only thing is that at my system, that package is not installed but I do have them. :question:

If you upgraded from an earlier system, then you would keep existing users and groups even without that package.

My understanding, which could be wrong, is that this way of creating users/groups with specific packages is relatively new. If I recall, it was recently discussed on the factory mailing list.

Could be, this was a 42.x system earlier.

And when you recall that it is rather recent, it is also plausible that someone forgot to adapt pure-ftp.

Reported as Bug 1136997 “pure-ftpd” needs a dependency on “system-user-ftp”