Pulseaudio pavucontrol controls do not respond on 12.1

I’ve just upgraded to 12.1. The new pavucontrol has a spiffy-looking interface, but I can only operate the controls on whatever tab is opened. Once I switch tabs, the controls in the window (sliders, buttons, selection lists, scrollbars, etc) no longer respond. If I flip back to the original tab, the controls there now no longer respond, as well.

I’ve tried running it from the console and no error messages appear.

I’ve tried the 1.0.2 version from the main Oss repository and 1.0.8 version from GNOME:Apps without any joy. The version seems a little odd, since the other tools, such as pavumeter, are all in the 0.9.x range.

I’ve got a KDE installation. I haven’t installed the GNOME desktop. I don’t know if that makes a difference.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

I get the same behaviour on another system that I’ve just installed. Does anyone else have this problem?

So I am not seeing this problem, which makes me think it might be related to your actual sound hardware? Can you tell us more about that? I do see the same versions that you mention. I have loaded openSUSE 12.1 twice, on a real PC with a Creative Sound card (I did also install GNOME) and as a VM under openSUSE 11.4, where I installed only KDE. There are so many possible combinations, it is hard to pinpoint the issue that causes you this problem. I can say that when it happens on more than one PC that we have installed, it often can be traced to some step we always take as we are such creatures of habit you would not believe it. This is in no way an excuse for a problem, just an observation I have made, which works even for me. While I have your attention, have you noticed any unwanted screen blanking going on?

Thank You,

Thanks for the reply.

It’s a Dell Latitude E6420 laptop with a built-in intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family and an nvidia NVS 4200M with HMDI output. The pulseaudio config is currently finangled to show hw1,8 so that I can send sound to HDMI, but I was having problems before setting this up.

My alsa-info is at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=1b7200f5207c5e0f694b56d90d5163a8780e45f7

I don’t think that it’s a hardware issue. Pulseaudio works fine and I can control volume etc via kmix. I can also manipulate the controls on whatever tab first appears on pavucontrol; it’s just changing tabs that causes problems. This makes we think that I have a problem with my gtk3 setup, but I don’t know what a “proper” gtk3 setup should look like.

Missed this bit. No, the screen has behaved impeccably with the nvidia drivers. (The nouveau drivers have been pretty dissapointing on both systems, both with nvidia cards.)

Light has dawned. I tried using pavucontrol in a new account and it works fine. So it would appear to be some sort of configuration problem with my desktop. Since pavucontrol is the only gtk3 application that I’m using, I would appear to have some sort of setting, somewhere, that causes pain to gtk3. Do you know of any way of resetting the configuration without blowing away all the other settings that I have?

Light has dawned. I tried using pavucontrol in a new account and it works fine. So it would appear to be some sort of configuration problem with my desktop. Since pavucontrol is the only gtk3 application that I’m using, I would appear to have some sort of setting, somewhere, that causes pain to gtk3. Do you know of any way of resetting the configuration without blowing away all the other settings that I have?

No, I don’t know of an easy way. Last time I had such a problem, I just created a new user and started using it. It was a Linux install that had been upgraded and not a clean install, but it does not matter when you have such a problem.

Thank You,

I don’t use PulseAudio, but I note that I had a .pulse directory in my home folder (from before my upgrade to 11.4). You could try removing or renaming it.

mv ~/.pulse .old