PSU advice

I thank I have a PSU issue. this new computer of mine just shut off. Not power off but as in all’s good then dead.

Hardware: 600V Apevia PSU. I don’t thank its a bad PSU just lack of power. Reason - I have four led case fans, graphics card, NZXT fan controller, led lite keyboard, plus the normal (HDD, CDROM)

Troublshooting:
1.) unplugged cable, checked to make sure PSU set on 120/115. Good, plugged back in, booted a few seconds, shut off.
2.) unplugged everything from PSU except MOBO. Computer booted fine in to the BIOS, stayed running. After that plugged HDD back in, again fine. Next plugged NZXT fan controller back in, booted a few seconds, then dead.

Does my thinking, sound right? What other reason would the computer just shut off? Could and for what reasons and how could I test to see if it’s the NZXT controller?

Advice greatly needed!

Thanks,
John

So your system might shut off if something gets to hot. I am not sure you have more fans that you have connectors, but I think I would remove the NZXT fan controller from the mix of components even if a non critical fan was not plugged in. CPU and Video card fans must stay working. Motherboard cooling, either passive (large heat sinks and no fan) or active (heat sinks using a fan) must stay working. In general the CPU and Video Card use the most power and create the most heat. That is followed by memory and perhaps hard drives particularly when you have more than one. From what you have said, using a 600 watt (not V) PSU might be enough, but I recommend at least a 650 watt PSU these days. And, I might add that I have had Power Supplies fail and if you can afford it, buying a bigger one can be viewed as insurance for your PC if you use a standard model you can buy anywhere. So, get rid of the Fan controller (for testing) and consider a new Power Supply, before you try anything else. I had a used computer once that I gave to my nephew. He added in a bigger Video Card and the Power Supply blew a while later, taking out half of his computer, including that new video card he had bought. I decided then and there to not scrimp on buying a good PSU if I could help it.

Thank You,

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:16:03 +0000, ogbi-web kenobi wrote:

> What other reason would the computer just
> shut off?

Thermal shutdown might be induced by the hardware itself. You might
check in the BIOS after it shuts down (if you’re there) and see if the
BIOS has stats that show what the current temperature is.

> Could and for what reasons and how could I test to see if it’s
> the NZXT controller?

Disconnect it and see if the problem recurs. It’s possible you’re
drawing too much power, but 600W is generally a good size for the typical
PC.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

It’s gotta’ be PSU. As far as thermal, thought of that. BIOS showed the CPU at 85F, went to 91F and then started back down to the upper 80’s and holding.

I got another PSU on the way, it hurt but 1300W (V)oops :wink: should tell me if this is something else or not.

I’m certain it’s not the CPU. It can’t be the board because when uplugging the fan controller everything works. The only thing I haven’t done is take out the Graphics Card and see how the computer acts. Right now it’s off, unplugged, and leaving it alone until new PSU gets here. If my limited knownledge is correct, a PSU putting out to little power is not going to fry anything, the computer is just going to shut down… right?

As long as it’s not the board or the CPU don’t go bad, I’m not going to freak. I knew when I embarked on this endeavor there would be obstacles. As long as the board and CPU stay cool, I stay cool.

It’s the piece of junk PSU that I paid $40 for because it looked cool. Live and Learn.

TTFN
JohnP

WOW, going from a 600 watt to a 1300 watt PSU is a very big jump! If you have your PC on a UPS, that large a power supply might be a problem or if your 120 volt power circuit is already heavy loaded. It is true that switching Power Supplies can have a low idle power usage and and mostly the real power usage is dependent on actual power usage of your PC. None the less, its not unusual to see your light blink for a moment when you turn on such a brute and a UPS is not going to like that turn on surge either. As an investment, a quality high power PSU does make a lot of sense to me. Mostly, only dual Video card users need a PSU at 1 KW or larger. DO keep us informed as to how well your new PSU is working.

Thank You,

No, I don’t use a UPS. 1300W is what it’s max is, It won’t be constantly drawing that from the wall. I think that’s what you meant by , “usage is dependent on actual power usage of your PC”. Though I’m not sure what you meant by, “It is true that switching Power Supplies can have a low idle power usage”. The idle usage is when the computer is not doing anything (hibernating/standby), right? How is changing the PSU going to have a lower idle usage? And how is this going to effect the computer? Please ellaborate there.

This is the one I got. [size=2]Kingwin 1220W ATX 12V Ver.2.92 and EPS Computer Power Supply.

I read an article somewhere that the PSU is the most under rated, but most important component to choose when building a new PC. Like always I don’t listen. Gota’ figure it out the hard way. But I’m learning, and having fun, so I’m cool. [/size]Eventually[size=2] I’ll get it working and that’s when the real fun begins. <insertEvilMadScientistLaugh>

TTFN
JohnP
[/size]

When your computer is on, but not doing anything but waiting on you, it would be drawing its normal idle power, which is greater than when off or in hibernation. You are very correct in that the PSU is often underrated in just how important a role it plays in running your computer and why I consider it taking out insurance on the rest of your PC. The PSU you have selected is impressive and I hope to hear good things when you get it installed.

Thank You,