Proprietary ATI driver + Opensuse 11.1

I’ve just installed openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.1 and I need some help installing the proprietary ATI driver since there is no RPM for it yet and Vesa doesn’t work very well.
I’m not so sure if it’s a KDE issue or Suse itself, but the system froze when I attempted to disable the desktop effects. It worked, however, after a reboot.
System specs:
-motherboard: Biostar M7VIT Grand
-CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2000+
-GPU: ATI Radeon 9250 128mb
Vesa detects the graphics card properly, 1680x1050 works, but the desktop effects are a bit choppy. :\

Have a look at the Ati!? thread seems to have worked for most.
I’m holding off for now myself as I don’t really need it and I’ll get it once the repository is up

Check the supported products list on the ATI site. The 9250 is not supported by the ATI proprietary driver, you need a 9500 or better.

However, you might get some 3D acceleration out of the open source radeon driver by exiting the GUI (hit control-alt-F1)logging in as root and running this command:

sax2 -r -m 0=radeon

When sax2 starts go to “change settings” and try checking the “enable 3d” box and saving your settings. Then when you get back to text mode enter this command

init 5

I’m not positive you’ll be able to successfully enable 3d (it may be enabled already) but it will only take a minute or so to try this, so you’ve got nothing to lose.

Ok then… I also messed with some rendering options in kwin and now kde is extremely slow and I can’t even get in the options to change them back. How do I delete a thread btw?

Ok, now this is weird… I can’t edit an older post? Funny forum system…
KDE4 hates me. I’ll try the yucky GNOME.
Is there any way of getting the 8.28.8 version to work? I’m pretty sure PCLinuxOS 2007 had fglrx working with my card.

GNOME with Compiz works 20 times better. Problem solved.