programs keep reinstalling

I have a really weird issue software that I do not want I have uninstalled such as Amarok, Choqok, etc then I reboot and it’s reinstalled. I have tried removing it and using the Taboo or Do not modify flags but it does not seem to be working. Are these just part of the KDE openSUSE package and cannot be removed or what?

Am 15.11.2011 04:36, schrieb inkrypted:
>
> I have a really weird issue software that I do not want I have
> uninstalled such as Amarok, Choqok, etc then I reboot and it’s
> reinstalled. I have tried removing it and using the Taboo or Do not
> modify flags but it does not seem to be working. Are these just part of
> the KDE openSUSE package and cannot be removed or what?
>
>
The only thing I can think of which wants to reinstall something after a
reboot is kpackagekit (or its gnome equivalent). It is meanwhile a well
known misbehavior of it that program that it does not even care about
taboo packages. Solution if this is the case - disable it and use the
yast online update or zypper patch/zypper up.


PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Could I just uninstall kpackagekit believe me there would be no love lost. When I uninstall these programs I am doing it through Yast Software.

Am 15.11.2011 04:56, schrieb inkrypted:
>
> Could I just uninstall kpackagekit believe me there would be no love
> lost. When I uninstall these programs I am doing it through Yast
> Software.
>
I understand you uninstall it the usual way but what reinstalls them -
is it kpackagekit. If so just disable it in the kde control center you
can define which “services” start in kde, kpackekit is just one of them
which I disabled.
If it is something else which reinstalls, it needs more investigation.


PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 03:36:02 +0000, inkrypted wrote:

> I have a really weird issue software that I do not want I have
> uninstalled such as Amarok, Choqok, etc then I reboot and it’s
> reinstalled. I have tried removing it and using the Taboo or Do not
> modify flags but it does not seem to be working.

The packagekit updater doesn’t respect the taboo/lock flags. To avoid
having them installed, use zypper to do updates rather than packagekit.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Many thanks to both of you now that I know it’s in the run services I shall disable it and test if Amarok comes back.

Right on track. I just uninstalled kpackagekit as I was unable to find it in the system services runlevel but that did the trick. kpackagekit is always a thorn in my side no matter the distro.

I have no idea how to mark this as solved so if you would be so kind as to tell me how I would appreciate. And thanks again.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 03:36:02 GMT
inkrypted <inkrypted@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I have a really weird issue software that I do not want I have
>uninstalled such as Amarok, Choqok, etc then I reboot and it’s
>reinstalled. I have tried removing it and using the Taboo or Do not
>modify flags but it does not seem to be working. Are these just part of
>the KDE openSUSE package and cannot be removed or what?
>
>

i tried that once and gave up. Some programs are embedded with
the repo. So whenever you run an update these programs will be
installed no matter what.
It depends also on the distro since every distro bundles different
programs.
Amarok is part of KDE and so will be mostly installed. The same happens
to mediaplayers. Even though i love having smplayer as my main player,
there will be always Mplayer installed as well.

Flags and uninstall will not help as far as i know. Besides you may
break the other program you either install or upgrade by doing that.

I hope i am right and don’t tell myths here.


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:06:06 GMT
Jim Henderson <hendersj@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 03:36:02 +0000, inkrypted wrote:
>
>> I have a really weird issue software that I do not want I have
>> uninstalled such as Amarok, Choqok, etc then I reboot and it’s
>> reinstalled. I have tried removing it and using the Taboo or Do not
>> modify flags but it does not seem to be working.
>
>The packagekit updater doesn’t respect the taboo/lock flags. To avoid
>having them installed, use zypper to do updates rather than packagekit.
>
>Jim
>
>
>

Is this true? Because, as i mentioned before, that i wanted to exclude
some programs but as in his case these got reinstalled.
Now if thats true, than i was really wrong. So i can toss mplayer for
example and use instead smplayer. Am i wright?


Euer Komputerfriek Joerg
using KDE on 11.4 x64 and happy with a cup of real hot coffee…
Need help? Call 207.252.3.96 (really)

Am 15.11.2011 05:44, schrieb JoergJaeger:
> Is this true? Because, as i mentioned before, that i wanted to exclude
> some programs but as in his case these got reinstalled.
Yes it is true, there are weird workarounds available to stop packagekit
from doing it but I cannot really recommend them.
> Now if thats true, than i was really wrong. So i can toss mplayer for
> example and use instead smplayer. Am i wright?
Without mplayer smplayer will not work because smplayer is just a gui it
is no player.


PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Am 15.11.2011 05:46, schrieb inkrypted:
>
> Right on track. I just uninstalled kpackagekit as I was unable to find
> it in the system services runlevel
It is not in yast in the run levels. It is started with kde (I have now
the german localization in front of me so my translation can be bad) and
it is in the kde configuration

system settings -> system administration -> start and stop -> the second
entry (services)

but you already solved it :wink:


PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.3 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

On 2011-11-15 04:36, inkrypted wrote:

> etc then I reboot and it’s
> reinstalled.

Nothing installs programs on reboot.

Packagekit ignores tabooes, but you have to run it or accept installation.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

So i can toss mplayer for
example and use instead smplayer

No. Smplayer is a front-end for mplayer. Hence, it depends on mplayer.

Yeah it worked for me. If you use SMPlayer you have to have MPlayer installed as SMPlayer is just a frontend I believe. I do use SMPlayer. I don’t really like Amarok personally I like Audacious but Linux ia all about customization and what you want to use. For me uninstalling kpackagekit and just using the Online Update in Yast was the solution.

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:44:10 +0000, JoergJaeger wrote:

> Is this true? Because, as i mentioned before, that i wanted to exclude
> some programs but as in his case these got reinstalled.
> Now if thats true, than i was really wrong. So i can toss mplayer for
> example and use instead smplayer. Am i wright?

Far as I know it’s true, I remember reading about it up here a couple
months ago.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:06:02 GMT, inkrypted
<inkrypted@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>Yeah it worked for me. If you use SMPlayer you have to have MPlayer
>installed as SMPlayer is just a frontend I believe. I do use SMPlayer. I
>don’t really like Amarok personally I like Audacious but Linux ia all
>about customization and what you want to use. For me uninstalling
>kpackagekit and just using the Online Update in Yast was the solution.

Personally, i find Amarok one of the least difficult to deal with for my
needs. How well does Audacious deal with larger libraries (10,000 tracks
and up)?

?-)