Problems with XFCE

Just made a clean Leap 15.4 installation with XFCE, on a recent model laptop, and already having several problems.

—In the taskbar I cannot move/change order of the opened windows; holding click and moving them to one side or another does nothing

—In Energy manager I tried unchecking “block session when suspending”, yet this simply doesn’t work: at 5 minutes it automatically blocks and I need to enter password again…

—Unlike other DEs, there’s no option whatsoever to test the speakers anywhwre

—What is supposed to be the default plain text viewer here? KDE, kate; GNOME, leafpad; XFCE, mousepad?

Thanks.

In the taskbar I cannot move/change order of the opened windows; holding click and moving them to one side or another does nothing

Could be you are refering to the “window buttons” in the panel where the open window icons shows. The way to do it is right click your mouse in the window button, click properties and choose

None,allow drag-and-drop

under sorting order. When I said right click, it is not the open window icon, look for the 3 horizontal bars at the beginning of the window button area in the panel. If it is invisible you got to find the start of the window button area to right click your mouse.

In Energy manager I tried unchecking “block session when suspending”, yet this simply doesn’t work: at 5 minutes it automatically blocks and I need to enter password again.

You have to do it also in the

Screensaver-Lock Screen

What is supposed to be the default plain text viewer here? KDE, kate; GNOME, leafpad; XFCE, mousepad

In early release it was mousepad and in xfce4.14 it was leafpad but in xfce 4.16 it’s back again to mousepad.

Thanks very much.

—What about the testing speakers issue?

—I tried letting the laptop to 5% battery to try seeing how hibernation worked. I was greeted with a message of the kind “root permissions needed to perform action: hibernate”. I expected it to be automatic, and for some reason ended up hitting cancel and plugging AC. Is this expected? Or did I do something harmful?

Thanks again.

Not an XFCE user, but just in case the following FAQ is of value to you…
https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/faq#how_can_i_make_logind_handle_button_events_instead_of_xfce4-power-manager

Ideally, you start a thread dedicated to each particular issue you wish to discuss.

Hi,
I think this is properly addressed in opensuse xfce.
If you are using the whisker menu, by going to the properties
the missing options can be added by enabling the buttons.

I don’t have a laptop, you could do the hibernation by user provided it can support it I guess.
What is the result of

xfce4-power-manager --dump

It will tell you if you can.