Problems with Nvidia gt 440 graphics adapter

opensuse v12.1
linux 3.1.10-1.9-desktop x86_64

I installed a new Nvidia gt440 graphics adapter. It was detected and the system started up mostly normally; there is something that Gnome3 does not like about it and started in “fallback” mode.

I thought I would try the Nvidia driver to see if that would resolve the Gnome issue. I installed it using YAST. The system now boots to a command prompt. I tired removing the Nvidia driver, reverting to the Nouveau driver; still boots to a command prompt. I even tried removing the Nvidia hardware; still boots to a command prompt.

How do I fix the system so that X-windows will start again?

The proprietary Nvidia driver sometimes requires the kernel to be booted with the “nomodeset” option. You might need the kernel development modules.

To use the open source Nouveau driver after you deinstalled the Nvidia driver, make sure the /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf file does not exist. That file has the lines

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

If you delete that file, reboot.

I also suggest, at the command prompt, log in as root and enter the “startx” command. This ensures that X is configured correctly. If this fails, look at the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for more hints.

For installing the proprietary video driver from nVIDIA, have a look at the following blogs on that subject:

Installing the nVIDIA Video Driver the Hard Way - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

LNVHW - Load NVIDIA (driver the) Hard Way from runlevel 3 - Version 1.45 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

S.A.N.D.I. - SuSE Automated NVIDIA Driver Installer - Version 1.46 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

How do I fix the system so that X-windows will start again?

(I had responded to myself a couple of days ago. It did not get sent, it would seem.)

On a whim, I tried installing the G02-desktop nvidia drivers again, using YAST. I must have done something differently since it worked this time. It’s all good, the graphics is zippy.

Thanks for the suggestions and pointers.

When in doubt always check the Nvidia website. They always provide a list of cards and GPUs supported by the driver.

Or, openSUSE has a brief description for drivers provided in the Nvidia repository.

For example:

Open the Yast Package Manager and click on the package “x11-video-nvidiaG02”. The description window shows “NVIDIA graphics driver for GeForce 6xxx and newer GPUs”.