Problems with nVIdia drivers since update on 1st March

I performed a software update “Packes/All Packages/Update if newer version available”.

Since doing this I keep getting error messages when X tries to start:

NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 390.116, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 390.87. Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.

I’ve tried both the G04 and G05 drivers sets for my machine, but both results in similare messages, only the client version changes, the kernel module version is always 390.87.

Is there a know “hiccup” in the packages, or is there anything I could look into.

I’m currently stuck with using FrameBuffer Graphics at 1024x768 on a 40" screen.

Cheers
Gordon

Hi
Can you check which of the nvidia packages are installed;

zypper se -si nvidia

Maybe one is out of sync…
https://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/15.0/x86_64/

zypper se -si nvidia
zypper lr -d

If you are unable to get unstuck by booting a prior kernel or getting an NVidia DDX to properly install, you should be able to reach the native display resolution by following the modesetting DDX instructions I posted in the NVidia DDX failure thread that followed yours right here 10 hours later.

S  | Name                      | Type    | Version                             | Arch   | Repository             
---+---------------------------+---------+-------------------------------------+--------+------------------------
i+ | nvidia-computeG04         | package | 390.116-lp150.5.1                   | x86_64 | nVidia Graphics Drivers
i  | nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default | package | 390.116_k4.12.14_lp150.11-lp150.5.1 | x86_64 | nVidia Graphics Drivers
i  | nvidia-glG04              | package | 390.116-lp150.5.1                   | x86_64 | nVidia Graphics Drivers
i+ | nvidia-texture-tools      | package | 2.0.8-lp150.1.4                     | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Oss 
i  | x11-video-nvidiaG04       | package | 390.116-lp150.5.1                   | x86_64 | nVidia Graphics Drivers

I’ve also tried the G05 set, and that just changes the client number in the mismatch message, the kernel version remains the same.

Cheers
Gordon

Does as root:

nvidia-uninstall

and reinstalling all 5 rpms help?

No, same issue.

I’ve now uninstalled all nVidia packages and installed the drivers from the nVidia site using their .run script, which works.

I’ll try the Yast packages again once they’ve been updated and see if it’s just been a packaging problem.

Cheers
Gordon

I has same issue. I just remove drivers installed from repos, and install drivers manually from nvidia.com and it works

And back to square one after a reboot.

I’ve re-run the NVIDIA*.run script and it fixed things again, but I’m guessing this points to something going wrong with loading of the modules.

Will need to investigate further at the weekend.

Cheers
Gordon

Well, i had similar issue with a monitor not allowed to display in 1920*1080.
I’ve reinstalled the rpms related to nvidia. Now, Xorg is not working, i have a beautiful back screen with a terminal…a modern gui indeed.
In some ways, i understand Linus saying “Nvidia, f@ck you!”.

I have removed all nvidia packages and reinstalled Xorg. My tty console welcomes me at boot. Nightmare to see that Windows is still saving me with this sh!t.

@jnowe
open a separate thread, your problem has nothing to do with the problem of the user, who has opened this thread.

you’re wrong, that’s the same issue. After the udpate, I was in 1280*1024 and I couldnt change anything in the settings.

No, he/she couldn’t install the nvidia driver.

NVRM: API mismatch: the client has the version 390.116, but
NVRM: this kernel module has the version 390.87. Please
NVRM: make sure that this kernel module and all NVIDIA driver
NVRM: components have the same version.

So a different problem.

impact is the same. Anyway, I will reinstall the system…f*cking Nvidia driver.

Did you install a kernel different then the regular kernel? The drivers must match the kernel version or you must install using the hard way.

I only use regular kernel. I use the hard way to install nvidia driver and reinstall xorg-X11* rpms. It solves the issue.