problems with Microsoft keyboard 4000

first of all , thanks for any help . I’m a new user of openSUSE …

My problem : my keyboard microsoft ergonomic 4000 is not working correctly , maj TAB is not working and the numbers don’t work at all( sorry for my english but i’m french )

I tried to configure in yast2 but it was even worse . Can somebody help me ?

Thanks

Mika

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 23:56:03 GMT
Nytmare6699 <Nytmare6699@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> first of all , thanks for any help . I’m a new user of openSUSE …
>
> My problem : my keyboard microsoft ergonomic 4000 is not working
> correctly , maj TAB is not working and the numbers don’t work at all(
> sorry for my english but i’m french )
>
> I tried to configure in yast2 but it was even worse . Can somebody help
> me ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mika
>
>

How are you testing these keys? TAB may not be noticable depending on the
program used, and the keys… is NUMLOCK on?

Check the state of NUMLOCK, it should be ‘ON’ (light on)

To check the TAB button, open a writing program like openoffice writer or
kwrite or kate or something (don’t know gnome app names…)

type some text, press TAB, type some more… should see if it worked or not.

Have you tried this keyboard on another computer? Do these errors occur
there?

Loni


L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

thanks for your answer .

I tried the keyboard on my PC with vista , and everything works fine . Numlock is on ( the light is on ) , but no numbers …

Just joined. Can anyone please let me know how to post a new thread on this forum? Replying to this one is the only way I could work out.
Dave

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:56:03 GMT
Nytmare6699 <Nytmare6699@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> thanks for your answer .
>
> I tried the keyboard on my PC with vista , and everything works fine .
> Numlock is on ( the light is on ) , but no numbers …
>
>

{Sigh} HOW ARE YOU TESTING THE KEYBOARD?!?

What program is running? What are you looking at to see if it’s working?

Just pressing the keys while looking at the desktop won’t do anything. Trust
me.

Loni


L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:06:03 GMT
ringorgoneHHO <ringorgoneHHO@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> Just joined. Can anyone please let me know how to post a new thread on
> this forum? Replying to this one is the only way I could work out.
> Dave
>
>

Try the “New Thread” button near the top of the page.

Loni


L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com
Reading! It’s fun!

looooooooooool

i tried it in text office and thunderbird . In thunderbird , even when the light of maj tab is not on , i have the letters as i want . but still no numbers ( and the light is on )

should i change the configuration in yast , perhaps by declaring another keyboard , i don t care of the multimedia buttons but i need my numbers :wink:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:36:02 GMT
Nytmare6699 <Nytmare6699@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
> looooooooooool
>
> i tried it in text office and thunderbird . In thunderbird , even when
> the light of maj tab is not on , i have the letters as i want . but
> still no numbers ( and the light is on )
>
> should i change the configuration in yast , perhaps by declaring
> another keyboard , i don t care of the multimedia buttons but i need my
> numbers :wink:

What is “maj tab” ? You’ve mentioned it several times…

Wait… I get the feeling that somehow, “mouse keys” has been enabled… this
remaps the numeric keypad into a ‘fake mouse’.

When you press the number keys, does the mouse pointer move? ‘4’ goes left,
‘6’ goes right, and so on…

If it does, press SHIFT-NUMLOCK, and this will toggle off Mouse-keys… the
keys should work (when the light is on) as they’re supposed to then.

Loni


L R Nix
lornix@lornix.com

This thread solved my problem with my MS Ergonomic KB v1.0. The SHIFT-NumLock combination turned off the fake mouse option that seemed to have been enabled when I upgraded from 10.3 to 11.0 earlier this week.