Problems with AntiVir

Guard doesn’t support the GUI.
You have to turn on GUI support in avguard.conf.

It says that when I open it.

Why do you want Antivir to run? You’re on linux, there are no virus threats. Other threats, yes, but no virus threats outside laboratories with weird system configurations.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

And the problem is???


VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuQG34ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVn+sACgkEid+Shs8jIwvTM6BLVoLKv8
L5QAnjRSFCuXXsBF3wWGykO74OI/MmXg
=Y3cZ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

what is AntiVir?


palladium

I have to disagree with you a little. It is a great idea, since most people unfortunately still use winbloze and they have LOTS of virus troubles. Since they share files with us and back, do you really want to unknowingly accept an infected file, only to pass it on to someone who doesn’t have adequate protection? I didn’t think so. :wink: I had it running fine in 11.3. I had trouble upgrading and am starting fresh. I forget how to get it let alone install it. :wink:

On 05/29/2011 02:36 AM, lshantz wrote:
>
> do you really want to
> unknowingly accept an infected file, only to pass it on to someone who
> doesn’t have adequate protection?

it is not my responsibility to make sure my friends have safe tires on
their vehicle, nor if they use a safe operating system, or not…

and, if they have chosen to use an unsafe operating system, and have
chosen to not protect it, it is not my duty to add software to my
hard drive and use my CPU cycles and electricity looking for things
that may harmful to the computer they don’t care enough about to protect…

what do those unprotected folks do to help protect your computer?


dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

On 2011-05-29 09:49, DenverD wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 02:36 AM, lshantz wrote:
>>
>> do you really want to
>> unknowingly accept an infected file, only to pass it on to someone who
>> doesn’t have adequate protection?
>
> it is not my responsibility to make sure my friends have safe tires on
> their vehicle, nor if they use a safe operating system, or not…

When you set up a shared storage place for a mixed network, it is customary
for the machine receiving the files to check them, regardless of it being a
windows machine or a linux machine. It is just one more service that a
server has to run.

So, the solution would be to have samba trigger the scanner on writes. I
don’t know how to do that. The other solution is having on access scan, via
dazuko kernel module, which is a can of worms, I understand.

Yes, the machines connected to the servers can also do the checking, but in
a mixed environment you can’t rely on that working: you check always and in
all machines. The server is usually managed by people that know, but not
all the client machines are.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

On 05/29/2011 02:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> When you set up a shared storage place for a mixed network, it is customary
> for the machine receiving the files to check them

of course i could be wrong, but from the way it was written i didn’t
think the poster was running a mail, ftp, or whatever server supporting
a local mixed system network…


dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

On 2011-05-29 16:48, DenverD wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 02:33 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> When you set up a shared storage place for a mixed network, it is customary
>> for the machine receiving the files to check them
>
> of course i could be wrong, but from the way it was written i didn’t think
> the poster was running a mail, ftp, or whatever server supporting a local
> mixed system network…

Think of this way, then: A household. You pass on a virus from you linux
machine. They will blame you, not themselves for not checking.

:stuck_out_tongue:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

On 05/30/2011 02:03 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Think of this way, then: A household. You pass on a virus from you linux
> machine. They will blame you, not themselves for not checking.

then i would blame them for not protecting their game stations! :stuck_out_tongue:

and, of course i would be right!


dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

On 2011-05-30 09:12, DenverD wrote:
> and, of course i would be right!

They are more, they win by majority vote >:-P


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)