Problems to back to graphic mode

Well, I’ve just started using openSUSE and I’ve never used Linux-base systems before. Anyway, I was installing my video driver and I read in a site to use the command “init 3” in terminal, when I did it, it opened the text-only mode. I tryed, so, to install the driver, which was in my desktop, but then, it asked for some updated kernel database. I got kinda desperate and reboot the system. When I got back, the system was still in the text-only mode (I actually updated the kernel database and installed the driver). However, doesn’t matter what I do, i can’t go back to the graphic mode.

Additional info:
I tryed using the Ctrl+Alt+F7 (but the screen just get black), I tryed using “init x” to see if there where any effect, but nothing changed, I tryed also using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (cuz they said it would restart the X-Server, but I don’t think it should be used that way XD)

I’d appreciate your help, tks for your pacience and time!

What does

startx

do?

well, it didn’t work…
it appeared something like this:

(==) log file: “/var/log/xorg.o.log”
(==) using config file: “etc/X11/xotg.conf”
FATAL: ERROR inserting NVIDIA (/lib/modules/2.6.27.7-9.default/updates/nvidia.ko): no such devices
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Aborting
(EE) Screen(s): found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
giving up.

xinit: conection refused (errno 111): unable to~
xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error

What should I do then?

You could try configuring automatically with

su -
sax2 -r
exit
startx

If that doesn’t work, you could load the standard vesa driver, which should at least get you into the GUI.

su -
sax2 -r -m 0=vesa
exit
startx

That isn’t a solution, but would make your system usable. Someone more knowledgeable than me is needed for this one though, sorry.

It might help if you posted the error messages. Try

cat /var/log/xorg.o.log
cat ~/.xsession-errors

Post the output.

Good luck.

Well, I could logon in the root mode, but my problem wasn’t fixed just like you said.
Tks anyway, I just hope anyone help me!

Sorry - double post.

Edit - never mind, sorry.

Good luck

when I tryed doing that, that’s what happened

linux-hcia:~ # cat /var/log/xorg.o.log
cat: /var/log/xorg.o.log: No such file or directory

My bad :shame:

It sounds like you need to reinstall your video driver but make sure you have the right one for your video card. Init3 is only a text console with your services loaded and init5 is your graphic mode, but if your video card is not installed properly you will not be able to start a GUI. At the very least I would run sax2 at a command prompt and set up your video in that even if it has to be setup as a generic video card to at least get your gui back up. Then use whatever utility you prefer to get a new video driver. I would honestly suggest using the Nvidia repository in yast and install it that way, because it takes most of the guess work out of trying to compile the driver. It does it for you. Just download through yast, it will install and then reboot. You should be ok from there.