Problems shutting down machine

I’ve just installed openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 on my laptop - HP Business Notebook 6710b. This is the first distro to do this, which is why I ask.

Now, when it comes to shutting my machine down, it doesn’t always do it. First thing I remembered was after initial installation, when it was meant to reboot, it just went to GDM, and I thought it must have booted before I saw it. But no, because I noticed this on some virtual installs I made also.

When I come to shut it down, in Gnome, it just goes to the GDM screen. Sometimes it will shut down fine, and sometimes not. If I press the power button, it then asks me if I want to shut down and it just does it correctly.

This also depends on the kernel. If I have the usual desktop one installed, then it will power off correctly at the end. But I use Xen on my notebook for a virtualised machine, and so need the Xen kernel. When I shut down with this, it just sticks right at the end when it says it will power off but never does it.

Any ideas?

There is topic about this problem on the forum, and there are bug reports at bugzilla.novell.com Check there.

Please change Boot loader to Kernel default. Try shutdown again.

Xen problem?