problems installing dual-boot Win-7 and OpenSUSE 12.1

Hello,
I am trying to install Win-7 + OpenSuse 12.1 64-bit versions in a Dell Inspiron model M5010 laptop with 8 GB memory. The installation shrinks the Win-7 OK but fails to create the Linux partitions and the Linux installation fails.

The laptop uses a Segate 596 GB SATA (ST9640320AS) internal drive. I am using the suggested partitions:
/dev/sda 596 Gb
/dev/sda1 209 Gb win-7
/dev/sda2 13 Gb recovery
/dev/sda3 372 Gb Linux
/dev/sda5 2 Gb /swap
/dev/sda6 20 Gb /boot
/dev/sdda7 350 Gb /

Every time I start the installation, Win-7 is shrunk OK but the installation cannot create the extended partitions. Each attempt fails with the message: “cannot create partition /dev/sda_ ERROR CODE: -1001 (or -3003)” which I believe they are general error code.

I have tried installing older versions of OpenSuse (11.0, 11.1, 11.2) 64-bit with similar results. The only solution so far is to re-install Win-7 and forget installing a dual-boot with Linux.

Questions:
1- any suggestions how to overcome the failure to create the partitions to install OpenSuse?

2- is it that Linux cannot work with a Seagate SATA 596 Gb disk drive? I do not think this is true but worth asking. I was able to install Linux by itself but not a dual-boot with Win-7.

3- is it OpenSuse 12.1 problem and not found in other Linux versions (Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc)

thank you very much for your time and suggestions.

Where is /dev/sda4 that should be the extended partition. Not knowing the real layout ie where each partition starts/stops it is hard to tell. But if you simply shrink /dev/sda2 then you just have a hole/gap in the disk between /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda3 this may not work. I believe in most cases the installer will want to put things after /dev/sda3 and there may not be room there. Try taking control of the install partitioning by selecting expert mode and tell it where things are to go. Or you could use parted Magic or other disto to set the partitions up then tell the installer to use those partitions.

have you tried to edit the partitions manually and loose the recovery partition as it creates problem i m also using win7 with openSUSE 12.1 my dual boot works fine
when selecting the edit partition setup just rescan the drives you will understand from there what you have to do in that process u can create the extended partition as you like
one more thing you have to select GRUB as your boot loader as other are not compatible with the windows partition
if trouble continues post again what you want to do in more specific way

You talk about “suggested partitions”. Who suggested this. IMHO the installer doesn’t this in this way.

And I am with the others above that you should post the partitions situation right now by posting a listing of

fdisk -l

You can run this from ant live CD, or rescue/maintenance boot.

Please post computer text between CODE tags: http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html

all, thank you very much for all the advice and suggestions. i will give it a try and report back the outcome. cheers.

On 2012-01-27 17:26, nazariosr wrote:

> The laptop uses a Segate 596 GB SATA (ST9640320AS) internal drive. I am
> using the suggested partitions:
> /dev/sda 596 Gb
> /dev/sda1 209 Gb win-7
> /dev/sda2 13 Gb recovery
> /dev/sda3 372 Gb Linux
> /dev/sda5 2 Gb /swap
> /dev/sda6 20 Gb /boot
> /dev/sdda7 350 Gb /

This is wrong. Total size, 596.
sda1 209 + sda3 372 + sda7 350 > 596. Impossible.

Unless sda3 is not type linux, but extended. Then the numbers match.

> Every time I start the installation, Win-7 is shrunk OK but the
> installation cannot create the extended partitions. Each attempt fails
> with the message: “cannot create partition /dev/sda_ ERROR CODE: -1001
> (or -3003)” which I believe they are general error code.

Then do the partitioning manually, or with a specialized iso type rescuecd,
parted magic, whatever.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)