Hi, i did an upgrade from 11.4 to 12.1, but installed root on a new ssd harddisk. I used the old home partition on another harddisk.
I had some problems getting the system to boot up with nvidia drivers, the “one click install” found in the opensuse site installed a “default” nvidia driver over the “desktop” kernel installed (this got done automatically after i started software managment one time), now that works.
My problems at the moment :
- I cannot find the system boot logs, have they been moved to a new place? I found out that syslogd is not installed on my system and afterinstalled it. I read that this was an M5 bug marked as fixed, but I got that off the official install.
- The system boots loading grub, but every second or third boot after selecting “normal booting” instead of “failsafe” in grub the screen goes black and nothing happens. I can thereafter try multiple times booting this option, always resulting in the same black screen. If I boot then one time “failsafe”, and hit “restart”, the default grub option will pause for a short moment on that black screen, and then display the boot splash screen (verbose) which will display first “doing fast boot”. The system will then boot normally.
- Sometimes booting up, the first line is something about “udev: file … not found”. Is there a way to stop the boot splash listing for reading (or, see 1) because since I boot from the SSD disk this goes rather fast.
- Using restart functions everytime from default or failsafe boot. Using shutdown from default boot results in a splash screen, I hear the old hard drive powering down, and the last line is [seconds?] The system is being halted. BUT, it does not. The splash screen stays, and nothing further happens. To totally stop the system I have to power it down with the power button.
- Sometimes, the system boots up, and hangs with the last screen line ALSA: Cannot determine min max values. When I reboot, this functions okay. Sound functions, but under Wine there is a directsound failure.
Any help on any of these points would be greatly appreciated, i have Opensuse since 10.x but I am kind of a noob when it comes to certain helpful console commands or certain places to look for logs and things.
I wonder if my install is totally broken and if I should maybe start over and install once again?
My install is from 64bit dvd installation of 12.1, downloaded directly and verified md5 before burning (and after burning as verify written data).
I use KDE that came with that same DVD. I have run some updates inside software management to get my nvidia drivers going, and afterinstalled syslogd on a hunch.
If you require more information i have maybe not thought of, please remind me. Thanks!