Problem with the forum using Chrome

The notification emails as described in the opening post.

This is still happening. Nothing has changed although I reported the problem more than a year ago.

Can I hope it will ever be fixed?

Hello? Is anyone reading this?

This is still a problem.

Hi
You need to clear your cookies again only way to fix it.

That is not a fix. Obviously the site has a problem as no other site shows such behavior.

Hi
Did you clear your cookies for Novell/Microfocus/openSUSE/SUSE/Attachmate?

Remember, the SSO used on the openSUSE forums covers multiple forums, secure websites and different locations/infrastucture.

I just did and I will keep an eye if it will happen again. But in any case: what do headers have to do with cookies?

And it keeps happening.

Happy new 2017!

The problem still exists.

Is anyone looking into this or am I talking to myself?

Nobody except you seems to have this problem.
I am not using Chrome, thus I can not be of much help I am afraid. I also did not read the whole thread for this reason, but get the idea that clearing cookies helps you temporarily.

In that case I should set in my cookies management (if there is such a thing iin Chrome) to always make cookies from the web-sites mentioned into session cookies. That will clear them after closing the browser.

Actually another member confirmed that I am not the only one and he mentioned that clearing cookies didn’t help him:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/509317-Problem-with-the-forum-using-Chrome?p=2774589#post2774589

In that case I should set in my cookies management (if there is such a thing iin Chrome) to always make cookies from the web-sites mentioned into session cookies. That will clear them after closing the browser.

There is a setting to clear the cookies for a website on exit. I will set that and keep an eye on things. I also have 3rd party cookies disabled (I have always had that setting).

In any case the browser complains about headers, not about cookies. As I explained earlier it is clearly related to a specific GET parameter and happens after a few hours of forum inactivity. This is the only site on which this happens.

Try it with another User does not help?

I am/have only 1 user.

Add a new User and try it with them.

The meaning is that you create a fresh user for the purpose of testing. You can of course remove him after all this is over.

Ok. I can do that. Just to make clear I understand:

1. I create the test user
  2. Subscribe to any thread
  3. Wait a few hours
  4. Click the link in an email notification to test how it would work
  5. Report back here

Is that the suggestion?

Create a test user on your system (YaST > Security and Users > Users and Groups).

Now you have a new user with virgin configurations files, so no lef-overs from old configurations, trials, whatever.
Login as that user and check if you have the same problem with Chrome.

Oh dear… I thought you were talking about new forum user (account).

Since I reported this for the first time I have upgraded openSUSE twice, cleared totally my cache, cookies, browser history and everything else in my browser profile multiple times (even this week). So there are absolutely no leftovers whatsoever. And it still happens. The browser complains about duplicate headers sent by the server. The error message clearly says:

The response **from the server** contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a **misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.**

I am not using a proxy. And considering the way HTTP works: how will creating a new local system user change this? It is the same URL, the client will send the exact same HTTP request to the server which will result in the exact same response headers.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I don’t want to sound uncooperative but I would rather do a test that makes sense.

BTW has anyone who takes care of this web server taken the time to test this exactly as explained? I haven’t seen any results posted in the forum.

On Sat 08 Apr 2017 07:56:02 PM CDT, heyjoe wrote:

hcvv;2819154 Wrote:
> Create a test user on your system (YaST > Security and Users > Users
> and Groups).
>
> Now you have a new user with virgin configurations files, so no
> lef-overs from old configurations, trials, whatever.
> Login as that user and check if you have the same problem with
> Chrome.

Oh dear… I thought you were talking about new forum user (account).

Since I reported this for the first time I have upgraded openSUSE twice,
cleared totally my cache, cookies, browser history and everything else
in my browser profile multiple times (even this week). So there are
absolutely no leftovers whatsoever. And it still happens. The browser
complains about duplicate headers sent by the server. The error
message clearly says:

Code:

The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This
problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy.
Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.

I am not using a proxy. And considering the way HTTP works: how will
creating a new local system user change this? It is the same URL, the
client will send the exact same HTTP request to the server which will
result in the exact same response headers.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I don’t want to sound
uncooperative but I would rather do a test that makes sense.

BTW has anyone who takes care of this web server taken the time to test
this exactly as explained? I haven’t seen any results posted in the
forum.

Hi
You have to clear cookies, remember the infrastructure used is a lot
different that a standard vBulletin forum. The infrastructure covers
multiple domains, MicroFocus, NetIQ, SUSE, openSUSE (Forum, OBS etc) and
still some Novell ones. There is always maintenance going on to remove
the Novell stuff which if you have a cookie lurking can create issues.

It’s not ‘A’ web server, it lots both physical and virtual…

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.38-50-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

The error message clearly says:

The response from the server contained duplicate headers. This problem is generally the result of a misconfigured website or proxy. Only the website or proxy administrator can fix this issue.

I’m not a web developer but a quick search turns up various threads from Chrome users who have identified similar issues with headers involving commas. For example
asp.net mvc 3 - Chrome, pdf display, Duplicate headers received from the server - Stack Overflow. This would need Mifrofocus’s attention to fix though.