Problem with powerdevil

Hello everyone.

A couple of week ago I fiddled around with the system and disabled some of the unnecessary services. Problem is, somehow powerdevil got messed up and now it will not start. I have tried enabling it through YaST, but the service will not start. When I go to the Desktop settings control panel, I get a message that powerdevil is not running. Manually starting it through the console gives me an error message that it failed to start. I looked around the internet, but I can’t find a suitable log file for an error message. Does anyone know which services (if any?) powerdevil requires to run, or which log may contain an error message? Failing that, is there some way to remove it / re-install it? (I can’t find a separate package using YaST).

I know it used to work with my current setup because I remember changing power settings through it.

Any ideas?

Powerdevil is part of the kde base system now.

You say:

I fiddled around with the system and disabled some of the unnecessary services.

Fiddled…I don’t suppose you know what unnecessary services you disabled?

Well, i can give you a nice list… here are the processes currently disabled:

atd, autofs, avahi-daemon, avahi-dnsconfd, dnsmasq, esound, gpm, kexec, lirc, mdadmd, microcode.ctl, multipathd, nbm, nscd, openvpn, postfix, raw, smartd, smb, smbfs, smolt, spamd, sshd, stoppreload, xfs, xinetd, ypbind.

Also, there is a bunch of boot.something services, but I didn’t touch those. Most of them are activated during boot time anyway.

I tried enabling the above mentioned services one by one, and then restarting powerdevil but no luck, and I definitely haven’t deleted any files. I have removed the AppArmor packages though. I will try reinstalling them, see if that makes any difference. In the meantime, any suggestions would be welcome.

Sav

Open Yast - Software Management
In the search box type: powerdevil and check the rpm provides box and GO

On the complete and default install, did powerdevil work? It sounds like it!

You fiddled? Yes!

Now it doesn’t work? No!

Cause? Fiddling!

Yes, caf, thanks for pointing that out. :sarcastic:

On the other hand, ever since I started fiddling, I’ve learned so much more that I had before. I’ve only been using openSUSE (and Linux in general) for 6 months, so how can I learn if I don’t play around a bit?

Anyway, I found it. Even if you enable the service form YaST -> System services, you still need to enable it from the Desktop Settings -> Advanced -> Service Manager menu (which I had disabled and forgotten about). After enabling that, the service started just fine.

So, since I am still a noob (and not afraid to show it :P), let me get this straight: The Desktop settings menu concerns all settings regarding the current user, so changes do not affect the system as whole, but if I change something from YaST, this applies to the whole system?

As always, thanks for your help caf.

So, since I am still a noob (and not afraid to show it :P), let me get this straight: The Desktop settings menu concerns all settings regarding the current user, so changes do not affect the system as whole, but if I change something from YaST, this applies to the whole system?

I just assumed you were using the system settings from the desktop, sorry.