200GB Samsung SATA2 @ IDE Native Mode
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
Samsung Synchmaster T200

always pluged in usb devices:
Logitech G5
Logitech G11
Canon Pixma iP4600

ok now my problem:
I’ve made a brand new opensuse 11.2 (amd64, kernel-desktop) installation and installed the nvidia driver 190.53 from the official nvidia repository.
Sometimes when the XServer restarts (i.e. on log-off or when I switch runlevels from 3 to 5) the system is getting very, very slow. When I try to switch to tty1 it takes 30 sec, log in takes 1 min, when I click on the desktop I can’t even move my mouse for ~30 sec.

Here’s what I’ve tried:
-Update Kernel.
-Update KDE to 4.3.5.
-Update KDE to 4.4.
-New installation, installed an older Nvidia driver via run shell from the nvidia site (190.42 which works fine on my fathers machine, he got the exactly same video card)
=> Bug is still there.

Any idea what I can try? Anyone with similar problems?

Thanks!
Fabian R.

Lets see your repository list. I bet you have confilcting versions.

zypper lr -d

On some systems switching from kernel-desktop to kernel-default helps out on NVIDIA driver problems. On my laptop for example, the kernel-default gives a much better performance overall, but specially on start of X.

@gogalthorp
atm suse is not running, so maybe this is enough:
It’s a fresh suse installation, no repositories were added, expect the nvidia repo.

@Knurpht:
I’m going to try that!

I’m sorry I can’t figure out where the edit button is^^

zypper lr -d
# | Alias                | Name                  | Aktiviert | Aktualisieren | Priorität | Typ    | URI                                                             | Dienst
--+----------------------+-----------------------+-----------+---------------+-----------+--------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+-------
1 | Libdvdcss repository | Libdvdcss repository  | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/11.2/                            |
2 | Packman Repository   | Packman Repository    | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | rpm-md | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.2/                     |
3 | openSUSE 11.2-0      | openSUSE 11.2-0       | Ja        | Nein          |   99      | yast2  | cd:///                                                          |
4 | repo-debug           | openSUSE-11.2-Debug   | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/  |
5 | repo-non-oss         | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss/    |
6 | repo-oss             | openSUSE-11.2-Oss     | Ja        | Ja            |   99      | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/        |
7 | repo-source          | openSUSE-11.2-Source  | Nein      | Ja            |   99      | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/ |
8 | repo-update          | openSUSE-11.2-Update  | Ja        | Ja    

edit: there seems to be a time limit for editing post…
I wanted to add something:
The packman repository has nothing to do with the bugs, I just installed w32codecs, but before I had the bug as well!

nope switching to default kernel changed nothing…
I really relly really don’t get it… The system used to work fine with suse 11.1… and my father has the exact same video card and no problems…

I also have a GTX 260 with no problems. I have never seen symptoms like you describe so I have no idea as to where you should start. Do you have all the latest 11.2 updates installed ? If you had an KDE4 repositories and then removed them prior to showing us the output of your repository list, ensure you switch any packages from those repos back to the Update.

Updating to KDE-4.4 like you did is IMHO a bad idea, and its likely now contributing to your problem. It would have been far better IMHO to stick with KDE-4.3.5 and solve your problem there. I recommend in fact you roll back to 4.3.5.

ATM I have KDE 4.3.1, KDE 4.4 was before I made a new installation.

Do you have all the latest 11.2 updates installed ?

On the old installation yes, with kde 4.4 and kde 4.3.5.
On the new installation no. I really do not think its an kde problem. I didn’t have this bug on 11.1 with KDE 4.2 and KDE 4.3.

It starts just in time when I activate 3D-Acceleration (of course with one of the nvidia drivers).
The strange thing is, when the Xserver is running, then it is really running, which means no matter how long the session is, as long as I do not try to somehow restart the XSever (like I said I noticed it while switching users) it is running perfectly.

I recommend you accept the official update to KDE-4.3.5.

Is this the same user with the same /home/username? If so, what happens with a new user?

I do not understand what “one of the nvidia drivers” is, to quote your words. … Is that the opensource “nv” driver that comes with the rpm xorg-x11-video-driver ? or is it the “nvidia” proprietary graphic driver ?

I recommend you accept the official update to KDE-4.3.5.

As you wish :wink:

Is this the same user with the same /home/username? If so, what happens with a new user?

Makes no difference. Switch from root to another user. Switch from another user to root. Switch from root to root. Switch from another user to the same user. Switch from Runlevel 3 to 5.
But funny:
If I reboot, and then fast log in, just make a few clicks and then relog nothing happens. But if I stay sometime logged in (lets say about 10 min), the bug is comin up.

I do not understand what “one of the nvidia drivers” is, to quote your words. … Is that the opensource “nv” driver that comes with the rpm xorg-x11-video-driver ? or is it the “nvidia” proprietary graphic driver ?

I’m sorry, yes I meant the proprietary drivers.

are there any unusual messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that might explain this ?

Anything unusual in /var/log/messages?

Anything unusual in dmesg ?

To be honest: I don’t know whats usual and whats unusual in those log files^^

Hi, back again. Had serious trouble on my server, and, from what it looked like, the same problem the OP had, the logs and .xsession-errors just told me, that X crashed, nothing more. Tried about everything I knew, then, as a last try I reinstalled all installed packages. On my internet this took a bit more than an hour. Rebooted in runlevel 3, reinstalled NVIDIA driver, problem gone.
So, my best guess is that there’s been some kind of package corruption, don’t know of which. The system has been up for over 24 hours now, without any errors.

Please give this a try, it may very well pull in a correct version of what is bothering your system. To do so, start the software installer, pick Installation Overview, tick “Keep”, the list on the right gets filled, then right click in the list, choose ‘All packages’, choose ‘Update unconditionally’, click ‘Accept’. It will download and reinstall all packages and run the scripts in them…

To my great relief, this solved matters for me, the least I can say, is that it would not hurt your system.

I may found something interesting while comparing /var/log/Xorg.0.log with /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old.
There were only some lines at the bottom of Xorg.0.log that are different:

(II) G11 Keyboard: Close
(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
(II) Gaming Keyboard: Close
(II) Gaming Keyboard: Close
(II) Logitech USB Gaming Mouse: Close
(II) Power Button: Close
(II) Power Button: Close

Does this maybe refer to a problem with evdev and my mouse or keyboard?

I don’t know. I vaguely know there is a kdb driver which I think is the normal keyboard driver. The evdev driver I believe can also be use for the keyboard, and I think only one (both not both) of those drivers should be loaded at one time. Its quite possible that unloading is being done deliberately so that there is no interference between the two, but thats wild speculation and in truth I do not know.

Question: did you run sax2 after NVIDIA install, and thus generate an xorg.conf? It’s located in /etc/X11. Seeing evdev

If so, remove/rename it, reboot and see if things get better. From 11.2 xorg.conf is obsolete. The HAL-daemon should do the hardware detection and configuration.

Question: did you run sax2 after NVIDIA install, and thus generate an xorg.conf? It’s located in /etc/X11.

Yes! I deleted the file, lets see what happens…

Nope that was not the solution!

If you wish again to try an xorg.conf file to configure your X, there are two easy ways to try this. In both cases I recommend you remove the old /etc/X11/xorg.conf file before you proceed with my recommendation.

• One way is to boot to run level 3 and then run (with root permissions):
sax2 -r -m 0=nv

and then restart with

shutdown -r now

and test

• another way (after removing the xorg.conf from above test) is to boot to run level 3 and then run (with root permisions):
nvidia-xconfig

and then restart with

shutdown -r now

and test

Its also possibility is your hardware is bad. nVidia have a better bad quality record. Do you have another OS you can run to test your hardware on ?

Its also possibility is your hardware is bad. nVidia have a better bad quality record. Do you have another OS you can run to test your hardware on ?

Of course: Windows XP and Seven. No problems here!