Problem with cups

I have three printers on my network. All of them are relatively new HP printers. There is an OfficeJet Pro 8210, an OfficeJet Pro 7720 and a PageWide 577. The 7720 works just fine. I have deleted and reinstalled both the 8210 and the 577 using cups. Cups says the printers are there, are idle and accepting jobs. If I try to send a test page from cups, the page does not print and cups says the printer is stopped. I have tried pausing and resuming both printers to no avail. If I open the printers web page using Firefox, It says it is connected and ready to print. I can print a test page from the web browser. So obviously the printer is not the problem. I cannot find any documentation about how to restart a printer.

How can I restart the printers?

Bart

They should be able to re-enabled via the CUPS web UI, or via the CLI using

sudo cupsenable <printer_name>

What is reported by the following?

lpstat -t

Are you using HPLIP drivers for all three of these printers?

Any stuck/stale print jobs can be cancelled with

cancel -a

To aid with debugging CUPS logging verbosity can be increased by putting CUPS into debug mode…

sudo cupsctl --debug-logging

then try printing something and observe what is logged (for a given print job ID) in /var/log/cups/error_log. As the logging can be lengthy it is advised to use https://susepaste.org/ to host/share the content, posting the URL that it generates here.

Knowing that the file would be large, I opened it, as root, using Kate and removed all information in it. I then tried to print a test page from cups. When I opened the file, there was nothing in it! It is still empty. Could I have changed to permissions by using root to modify it?

Bart

Remove the file with

sudo rm -f /var/log/cups/error_log

and restart CUPS

sudo rccups restart

The error_log file will be recreated.

No, you normally do not change the permissions of a file when you do something to the contents.

But when you want to ask something about the permissions of a file, then at least show what the permissions are at the moment:

ls -l <path-to-the-file>
bart@UNIVAC:~> lpstat -t
scheduler is running
no system default destination
device for HP-577: socket://HP-577:9100
device for HP-7720: hp:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series?ip=192.168.3.27
device for HP-8210: dnssd://HP%20OfficeJet%20Pro%208210%20%5B443C62%5D._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=b93c8620-790d-75c6-eede-3b74686e81b2
device for MFCJ875DW: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J875DW._ipp._tcp.local/
HP-577 accepting requests since Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:17:32 AM MDT
HP-7720 accepting requests since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:32:50 PM MDT
HP-8210 accepting requests since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:25:57 PM MDT
MFCJ875DW not accepting requests since Sun 01 Apr 2018 07:19:10 PM MDT -
        reason unknown
printer HP-577 is idle.  enabled since Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:17:32 AM MDT
        File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpps" not available: No such file or directory
printer HP-7720 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:32:50 PM MDT
printer HP-8210 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:25:57 PM MDT
printer MFCJ875DW is idle.  enabled since Sun 01 Apr 2018 07:19:10 PM MDT
HP-8210-355             unknown           1024   Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:25:57 PM MDT
HP-577-362              unknown           1024   Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:17:32 AM MDT
bart@UNIVAC:~> 

Are you using HPLIP drivers for all three of these printers?

I had hplip-hpijs installed but not hplip itself. I had had some problems with it and had uninstalled it. The printers WERE working ok. I’ll install hplip and see what happens

I installed hplip and tried to run hp-setup only to get the following error:

bart@UNIVAC:~> hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.17.9)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: libglib-2.0.so.0: failed to map segment from shared object

Only the HP-7720 printer configuration is using the HPLIP ‘hp’ backend. The HP-577 is using the generic CUPS ‘socket’ backend, so definitely using HP drivers. The ‘dnssd://’ backend is also not used for HPLIP configured printers. It uses DNS-SD to determine the appropriate network backend dynamically AFAIU.

The driver configuration for each of these printers is located in /etc/cups/ppd/ directory. The driver config can be determined using something like

egrep -i "name|model|filter" /etc/cups/ppd/*

although you’ll get the combined results of 4 printer configurations here.

printer HP-577 is idle.  enabled since Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:17:32 AM MDT
printer HP-7720 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:32:50 PM MDT
printer HP-8210 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:25:57 PM MDT

That file is supplied as part of the hplip package.

Strange. I’m not sure what might be causing that.

Perhaps the HPLIP diagnostics utility can help here…

hp-doctor

Am I correct in thinking that the problem is not necessarily with libglib but with something it is calling? If so, how can I find out what that might be?

Did you read my previous post? Try that first.

Also, I’d like to see the output from the command given in post #9.

Also post:

zypper se -si libglib-2_0

Short break. My eye shades fell down and I couldn’t see anymore! :slight_smile:

Looks like somewhere along the line I made a mess on this system.

deano_ferrari said:

Also, I’d like to see the output from the command given in post #9.

bart@UNIVAC:~> egrep -i "name|model|filter" /etc/cups/ppd/*
grep: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd: Permission denied
grep: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd.O: Permission denied
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*PCFileName: "hp-officejet_pro_7720_series.ppd"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*ModelName: "HP Officejet Pro 7720 Series"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*ShortNickName: "HP Officejet Pro 7720 Series hpijs"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*NickName: "HP Officejet Pro 7720 Series, hpcups 3.17.11"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*cupsModelNumber: 0
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-raster 0 hpcups"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*OpenUI *ColorModel/Output Mode: PickOne
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*OrderDependency: 10 AnySetup *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*DefaultColorModel: RGB
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*ColorModel RGB/Color: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 0>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*ColorModel CMYGray/High Quality Grayscale: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 1>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*ColorModel KGray/Black Only Grayscale: "<</cupsColorSpace 1/cupsBitsPerColor 8/cupsRowStep 2>>setpagedevice"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd:*CloseUI: *ColorModel
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*PCFileName: "MFC875.PPD"
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 brother_lpdwrapper_mfcj875dw"
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*cupsModelNumber: 15
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*ModelName: "Brother MFC-J875DW"
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*ShortNickName: "MFC-J875DW"
/etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd:*NickName: "Brother MFC-J875DW CUPS"

deano_ferrari said:

Did you read my previous post? Try that first.

bart@UNIVAC:~> hp-doctor

Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Self Diagnse Utility and Healing Utility ver. 1.0

Checking for Deprecated items....
error: This distro (i.e unknown  ) is either deprecated or not yet supported.
The diagnosis is limited on unsupported platforms. Do you want to continue?(y=yes*, n=no):y

Checking for HPLIP updates....

HPLIP upgrade latest version ver. 1.0

error: HPLIP upgrade is disabled by openSUSE for security reasons, see https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=853405 - if you like to upgrade HPLIP, use an openSUSE software package manager like YaST or zypper.

Done.
error: Failed to upgrade latest HPLIP. Is hp-upgrade already running (i.e. foreground or background)?

Checking for Dependencies....
warning: 0- version is not supported. Using 0-0 versions dependencies to verify and install...

---------------
| SYSTEM INFO |
---------------

Kernel: 4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default #1 SMP Tue Aug 14 17:51:27 UTC 2018 (28574e6) GNU/Linux
 Host: UNIVAC
 Proc: 4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default #1 SMP Tue Aug 14 17:51:27 UTC 2018 (28574e6) GNU/Linux
 Distribution: 0 
 Bitness: 64 bit

-----------------------
| HPLIP CONFIGURATION |
-----------------------

HPLIP-Version: HPLIP 3.17.9
HPLIP-Home: /usr/share/hplip
warning: HPLIP-Installation: Auto installation is not supported for 0 distro   version 

Current contents of '/etc/hp/hplip.conf' file:
# hplip.conf.  Generated from hplip.conf.in by configure.

[hplip]
version=3.17.9

[dirs]
home=/usr/share/hplip
run=/var/run
ppd=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs/hplip
ppdbase=/usr/share/cups/model/manufacturer-PPDs
doc=/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
html==/usr/share/doc/packages/hplip
icon=/usr/share/applications
cupsbackend=/usr/lib/cups/backend
cupsfilter=/usr/lib/cups/filter
drv=/usr/lib/cups/driver
bin=/usr/bin
apparmor=/etc/apparmor.d
# Following values are determined at configure time and cannot be changed.
[configure]
network-build=yes
libusb01-build=no
pp-build=no
gui-build=yes
scanner-build=yes
fax-build=yes
dbus-build=yes
cups11-build=no
doc-build=yes
shadow-build=no
hpijs-install=yes
foomatic-drv-install=no
foomatic-ppd-install=yes
foomatic-rip-hplip-install=no
hpcups-install=yes
cups-drv-install=no
cups-ppd-install=yes
internal-tag=3.17.9
restricted-build=no
ui-toolkit=qt5
qt3=no
qt4=no
qt5=yes
policy-kit=no
lite-build=no
udev_sysfs_rules=no
hpcups-only-build=no
hpijs-only-build=no
apparmor_build=no

Current contents of '/var/lib/hp/hplip.state' file:
Plugins are not installed. Could not access file: No such file or directory

Current contents of '~/.hplip/hplip.conf' file:
[commands]
scan = /usr/bin/xsane -V %SANE_URI%

[fax]
email_address = 
voice_phone = 

[installation]
date_time = 09/29/18 11:47:57
version = 3.17.9

[last_used]
device_uri = "hp:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series?ip=192.168.3.27"
printer_name = 
working_dir = .

[polling]
device_list = 
enable = false
interval = 5

[refresh]
enable = false
rate = 30
type = 2

[settings]
systray_messages = 0
systray_visible = 0

[upgrade]
last_upgraded_time = 1518328405
latest_available_version = 3.17.10
notify_upgrade = true
pending_upgrade_time = 0

<Package-name>        <Package-Desc>      <Required/Optional> <Min-Version> <Installed-Version> <Status>   <Comment>

-------------------------
| External Dependencies |
-------------------------

cups                 CUPS - Common Unix Printing System                           REQUIRED        1.1             2.2.7           OK         'CUPS Scheduler is running'
 gs                   GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer REQUIRED        7.05            9.23            OK         -
 xsane                xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE                  OPTIONAL        0.9             0.999           OK         -
 scanimage            scanimage - Shell scanning program                           OPTIONAL        1.0             1.0.27          OK         -
 dbus                 DBus - Message bus system                                    REQUIRED        -               1.12.2          OK         -
 policykit            PolicyKit - Administrative policy framework                  OPTIONAL        -               0.114           OK         -
 network              network -wget                                                OPTIONAL        -               1.19.5          OK         -
 avahi-utils          avahi-utils                                                  OPTIONAL        -               0.6.32          OK         -

------------------------
| General Dependencies |
------------------------

libjpeg              libjpeg - JPEG library                                       REQUIRED        -               -               OK         -
 cups-devel           CUPS devel- Common Unix Printing System development files    REQUIRED        -               2.2.7           OK         -
 cups-image           CUPS image - CUPS image development files                    REQUIRED        -               2.2.7           OK         -
 libpthread           libpthread - POSIX threads library                           REQUIRED        -               b'2.26'         OK         -
 libusb               libusb - USB library                                         REQUIRED        -               1.0             OK         -
 sane                 SANE - Scanning library                                      REQUIRED        -               1.0.27          OK         -
 sane-devel           SANE - Scanning library development files                    REQUIRED        -               1.0.27          OK         -
 libnetsnmp-devel     libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files REQUIRED        5.0.9           5.7.3           OK         -
 libcrypto            libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library                    REQUIRED        -               1.1.0           OK         -
 python3X             Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language          REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.5           OK         -
 python3-notify2      Python libnotify - Python bindings for the libnotify Desktop notifications OPTIONAL        -               -               OK         -
 error: python3-pyqt4-dbus PyQt 4 DBus - DBus Support for PyQt4                         OPTIONAL        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4-dbus needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pyqt4 PyQt 4- Qt interface for Python (for Qt version 4.x)         REQUIRED        4.0             -               MISSING    'python3-pyqt4 needs to be installed'
 python3-dbus         Python DBus - Python bindings for DBus                       REQUIRED        0.80.0          1.2.4           OK         -
 python3-xml          Python XML libraries                                         REQUIRED        -               2.2.5           OK         -
 error: python3-devel Python devel - Python development files                      REQUIRED        2.2             3.6.5           MISSING    'python3-devel needs to be installed'
 error: python3-pil   PIL - Python Imaging Library (required for commandline scanning with hp-scan) OPTIONAL        -               -               MISSING    'python3-pil needs to be installed'
 error: python3-reportlab Reportlab - PDF library for Python                           OPTIONAL        2.0             -               MISSING    'python3-reportlab needs to be installed'

--------------
| COMPILEDEP |
--------------

libtool              libtool - Library building support services                  REQUIRED        -               2.4.6           OK         -
 gcc                  gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler                         REQUIRED        -               7.3.1           OK         -
 make                 make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs       REQUIRED        3.0             4.2.1           OK         -

---------------------
| Python Extentions |
---------------------

cupsext              CUPS-Extension                                               REQUIRED        -               3.17.9          OK         -
 hpmudext             IO-Extension                                                 REQUIRED        -               3.17.9          OK         -

----------------------
| Scan Configuration |
----------------------

hpaio                HPLIP-SANE-Backend                                           REQUIRED        -               3.17.9          OK         'hpaio found in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf'
 scanext              Scan-SANE-Extension                                          REQUIRED        -               3.17.9          OK         -

------------------------------
| DISCOVERED SCANNER DEVICES |
------------------------------

device `hpaio:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series?ip=192.168.3.27' is a Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series all-in-one
device `brother4:net1;dev0' is a Brother MFC-J875DW MFC-J875DW

--------------------------
| DISCOVERED USB DEVICES |
--------------------------

No devices found.

---------------------------------
| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

HP-577
------
Type: Unknown
Device URI: dnssd://HP-577._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/?uuid=7e6b0b29-9768-5fa6-9428-41c5bdec51da
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd ppd file
PPD Description: 
Printer status: printer HP-577 is idle.  enabled since Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:50:15 AM MDT
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

HP-7720
-------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series?ip=192.168.3.27
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd
PPD Description: HP Officejet Pro 7720 Series, hpcups 3.17.11
Printer status: printer HP-7720 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:32:50 PM MDT
Communication status: Good

MFCJ875DW
---------
Device URI: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J875DW._ipp._tcp.local/
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd
PPD Description: Brother MFC-J875DW CUPS
Printer status: printer MFCJ875DW is idle.  enabled since Sun 01 Apr 2018 07:19:10 PM MDT
warning: Printer is not HPLIP installed. Printers must use the hp: or hpfax: CUPS backend for HP-Devices.

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

Checking Permissions....

Checking for Configured Queues....
warning: Fail to read ppd=/etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd file
warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd
warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check

Checking for HP Properitery Plugin's....
No plug-in printers are configured.

Diagnose completed...

More information on Troubleshooting,How-To's and Support is available on http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Sauerland said:

Also post

zypper se -si libglib-2_0
UNIVAC:~ # zypper se -si libglib-2_0
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S  | Name          | Type    | Version          | Arch   | Repository           
---+---------------+---------+------------------+--------+----------------------
i+ | libglib-2_0-0 | package | 2.54.3-lp150.2.6 | x86_64 | Main Repository (OSS)
UNIVAC:~ # 

The HP-577 output is exluded due to permissins. You could get round that by running it with sudo. The HP-8210 is missing any configuration altogether! As you can see the HP-7720 is configured to use the HPLIP driver (as expected).

The same is essentially reflected by hp-doctor…

| INSTALLED CUPS PRINTER QUEUES |

HP-577
------
Device URI: dnssd://HP-577._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/?uuid=7e6b0b29-9768-5fa6-9428-41c5bdec51da
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd
warning: Failed to read /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd ppd file
PPD Description: 
Printer status: printer HP-577 is idle.  enabled since Sat 29 Sep 2018 02:50:15 AM MDT

HP-7720
-------
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/net/OfficeJet_Pro_7720_series?ip=192.168.3.27
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/HP-7720.ppd
PPD Description: HP Officejet Pro 7720 Series, hpcups 3.17.11
Printer status: printer HP-7720 is idle.  enabled since Fri 28 Sep 2018 11:32:50 PM MDT
Communication status: Good

MFCJ875DW
---------
Device URI: dnssd://Brother%20MFC-J875DW._ipp._tcp.local/
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/MFCJ875DW.ppd
PPD Description: Brother MFC-J875DW CUPS
Printer status: printer MFCJ875DW is idle.  enabled since Sun 01 Apr 2018 07:19:10 PM MDT

--------------
| PERMISSION |
--------------

Checking Permissions....

Checking for Configured Queues....
warning: Fail to read ppd=/etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd file
warning: Insufficient permission to access file /etc/cups/ppd/HP-577.ppd
warning: Could not complete Queue(s) configuration check

Now we need to know what is wrong with ‘hp-setup’.

It seems to me that the problem lies with some of the Python libraries I have installed. I tried messing with Python a while back. I think I got some incompatibilities then. This is going to be a mess!

I’ll try running hp-setup as root and see what happens.

<edit> Nope! Same error about libglib as before.

Bart

Can zypper tell me what other libraries libglib calls? I’ll go through my system and delete everything and reinstall from the main repositories.

Bart