Problem with boot menu of kiwi USB iso build of exported Suse Studio appliance.

I created an appliance in Suse Studio based on OpenSUSE 11.4 last fall. It works great and we use this appliance for our network installations. However, Novell stopped supporting 11.4 on the site at the end of the year. We don’t want to upgrade OS versions or switch to SLES as that breaks various developed scripts we use. Now we cannot build with any enhancements or fixes on the Studio site. The recommendation was to export the appliance and build locally with Kiwi. This seemed a better solution as we can control customization and avoid upload & download to the site to implement appliance changes. I was able to build an exported version of out appliance after some wrestling with installing Kiwi and tweaking the packages and such. The reason for this post, is that while the appliance builds and works, there is a problem with the initial grub screen. It doesn’t match the one in the original suse studio built appliance. The wallpaper is absent and it looks like the bootsplash configurations didn’t complete. I am sure there is something missing in my configuration or some such issue. After pouring through the kiwi manual I’m at a loss for what the issue is caused by. It has something to do with how the files that build the grub boot menu are assembled but I can’t seem to determine what the specific problem is.

The kiwi build log contains the following problems:

make: Entering directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio' make: Makefile: No such file or directory make: *** No rule to make target Makefile’. Stop.
make: Leaving directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio' gfxboot.cfg not found ! install::livecd will be skipped live || boot:addopt.keytable will be skipped live || boot:addopt.lang will be skipped make: Entering directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio’
make: Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target Makefile'. Stop. make: Leaving directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio’
cp: cannot stat themes/studio/bootlogo': No such file or directory /.kconfig: line 1134: bin/unpack_bootlogo: No such file or directory make: Entering directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio’
make: Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target Makefile'. Stop. make: Leaving directory /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio’

Any suggestions where to start looking?

I didn’t see a kiwi forum and since this was not a Suse Studio specific problem I posted it here. Let me know if there is a better location for it.

Thanks,
-Todd

On 2013-02-11 19:06, twgregory wrote:
>
> I created an appliance in Suse Studio based on OpenSUSE 11.4 last fall.
> It works great and we use this appliance for our network installations.
> However, Novell stopped supporting 11.4 on the site at the end of the
> year.

11.4, as an installed system, has LTS via the community Evergreen project.

However, SUSE Studio may discontinue support of 11.4, and that’s a
different issue. If you are asking about SUSE Studio, please ask a
moderator to move this post to the SUSE Studio forum.

You may complain to SUSE Studio why they discontinue 11.4 while it is
still supported, via community, for example.

> I didn’t see a kiwi forum and since this was not a Suse Studio specific
> problem I posted it here. Let me know if there is a better location for
> it.

Ah, so this is about kiwi only. Sorry, can not help.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Can anyone here help with this Kiwi question?

The best thing I can do now is to move it to a proper subforum https://forums.opensuse.org/english/other-forums/development/open-build-service-obs/

NNTP users, thread will be closed, moved after 10 minutes.

Moved and reopened. Sorry for the delay, hit the wrong button last night.

I think I solved this issue myself.
The folks at Suse Studio might need to update their appliance kiwi export function or at least update the user documentation for doing this as some items seemed to be left out.

This wiki link helped me reverse engineer the situation to correct the build script(s):
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KIWI_Cookbook_Splash_Screen

Here is what I did to solve the problem:

First I had to populate the local /usr/share/gfxboot/themes/studio directory with the proper files. I got these from the bootsplash.tar file that the Suse Studio export included in the source directory of their archive file. I extracted all the files/folders beneath the studio folder. This included the make file link that was missing in the error messages listed at the start of this thread. My studio folder now contained a data-boot folder, a data-install folder, a config file, and a link to the make file.

According to the wiki I had to then make 2 changes to the config.xml script.

First I commented out the package branding like the above link indicated:

<!--<package name='bootsplash-branding-openSUSE'/> -->

Then, I had to add the gfxboot-devel package to the config.xml file:

<package name="gfxboot-devel" bootinclude="true" bootdelete="true"/>

When I did the Kiwi build with these changes, the errors went away and the resulting iso file when written to a USB stick booted as the original Suse Studio appliance did but now it was being built in Kiwi, not on the site.

Final Note:
if you are doing Kiwi builds with Suse Studio exported appliances, make sure you have the gfxboot-devel package loaded before you begin.

zypper in gfxboot-devel

I hope this saves some people some time as it really gave me the run around until I found the above wiki article.

Cheers

I also found another tidbit relating to this problem on exporting Suse Studio appliances to Kiwi. It was buried very subtly here under number 2.:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:KIWI/FAQ#Q:_How_can_I_use_branded_graphical_boot.3F