Problem with ATI driver from repo

I just performed a new install of openSUSE 11.1 on a machine with an ATI Radeon HD4350. After I installed OS, i added the ATI repository and installed the drivers.

I followed the instructions here: ATI - openSUSE , but when run glxgears I get this message:

X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request:  15
Current serial number in output stream:  15

When I run fgl_glxgears I get this message:

Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
Major opcode of failed request:  144 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
Serial number of failed request:  15
Current serial number in output stream:  15

When I check SaX2, it identifies my card as ATI 0x954F, and 3D Acceleration shows as activated.

On my other machine I downloaded and installed the drivers directly from ATI and it worked like a charm. I thought it would be easier and painless to install directly from the repo, but apparently it wasn’t.

Can anyone help?

bump

is this on a 64bit system. I had the same error messages when trying to run glxgears. Somewhere on this forum is a hint to rename a 32bit lib and replace with a link to the 64bit one.

mv /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so.old
ln -s /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so

lol. Thank you :slight_smile: I had that one on paper, but somehow it slipped my mind. But the sequence you typed above is not correct, it should be

mv /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so.old

ln -s /usr/lib64/dri/fglrx_dri.so /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so

otherwise you end up with no fglrx_dri.so in lib64 :slight_smile:

thank you again :slight_smile:

Whoops. Thats what you get from copy paste create. Lucky you caught that :wink: