Problem with 3D on Intel 945GME, opensuse 11.2

I’m running Opensuse 11.2 on Hasee Q130X (Intel Atom N270 based netbook with Intel 945GME graphics). Most of the features work great out of the box, since it is very similar to Asus Eee. But I have found strage bug in 3D support.

In general 3D works just fine - default window compositing, some 3D games, most 3D screensavers work fine. But in some games there is a problem with textures - they are all messed up. For example, all games based on Spring engine have no textures at all. Some games on Wine have the same problem - there are no textures or they are messed up. In Eternal Lands MMORPG (linux native port) the world is textured fine, but the characters are a mess.Despite the fact, that these games work fine on this netbook under Windows and on desktop PC with nvidia card on linux as well.

The problem is surely somewhere in linux intel driver or incorrect xorg configuration. Is there any way to get rid of this problem?

Thank you!

What happens if you turn OFF 3D special desktop effects and then try these games? Do you have the same problem ?

Maybe, … maybe not. When this worked on a Linux PC with nVidia driver, was everything else in setup identical ? ie same resolution, same version of wine, same version of KDE or Gnome ? Same settings in place for special desktop effects ?

What intel driver are you using? For example, the driver x11-xorg-driver-video rpm contains the intel driver, and the one that is packaged with openSUSE contains xf86-video-intel-2.9.1.tar.bz2 which indicates the intel driver is version 2.9.1. One can also look at the change history which is inside the nominal rpm to see the version number.

There is also a new driver available here:
Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.2

For this updated rpm, if one looks inside the new rpm (for the new driver) one will see: xf86-video-intel-2.11.0.tar.bz2 or alternatively one just reads the change notice to see version 2.11.0 of the Intel driver . Typically in such a case, if one updates , I think one needs to update Mesa, xorg-x11-driver-input, and xorg-x11-driver-video , plus any dependencies that come up when installing those rpms.

Information on the Intel drivers is here: Intel Linux Graphics but one should still use an rpm packaged by openSUSE for an openSource Intel driver install.

A caution about the new driver. Newer is not always better. That repository I listed has cutting edge rpms and installing them could make things worse and not better, so I would not recommend it unless one has definite/necessary reasons for updating the driver/rpms. Having it work in a game may not be a sufficient reason for risking total graphic breakage on one’s system.