Problem using USB mobile broadband

Hi friends,I am using reliance usb modem to connect to internet from my opensuse 12.1(Gnome 3) Now, I connect to the internet using “sudo wvdial”[ofcourse, I first edited the wvdial.conf file and entered the username and password for my modem]Any graphical means to configure the modem?The problem is, Only I can access the internet through the browser (firefox) I mean, I cannot use empathy.When i open empathy, it says it cannot connect to internet.What must I do?Thanks.

Network Manager should be able to handle this for you. make sure ‘mobile broadband’ is enabled in network manager, and then you should be able to configure a new connection. When you click on the network manager icon, check under “mobile broadband” and see what’s there (hopefully it says “New Mobile Broadband Connection” – and then you can go through the wizard to get the USB modem configured).

I’ve been doing this with USB modems (though not your model, admittedly) for a few openSUSE releases now.

HTH…

Thanks for that post.
i had it configured…
But what about wvdial? leave it as such or should I put a hash or semicolon before the username and password?

But what about wvdial? leave it as such or should I put a hash or semicolon before the username and password?

Are you saying you can now connect via the network manager now? You can leave the wvdial config intact, just in case you need it later. I’ve done the same in the past. (It won’t cause any problems for the network manager).