"Problem: Nothing provides package libuuid..." Can't install RPM

Hi, new to Opensuse after a long stint with Kubuntu. Of course all sorts of niggling transition problems, but this one is vexing me, can’t seem to find a solution for it anywhere.

I’m trying to install an rpm file and it gives me the error of “nothing provides package libuuid”, but when I check, I have one called “libuuid1” installed. This is actually the second time I’ve run into this, with that same file dependency too.

So what are my options? Is it a different enough package that won’t work with the rpm? In that case can I find the other one and install it as well? If it is the same thing, can I edit the rpm somehow with the different name so it will work? Something else?

Please tell which rpm and also post the URL to get it?

Sure, it’s an app called Anytype. The RPM is here: https://anytype-release.fra1.cdn.digitaloceanspaces.com/anytype-0.39.0.x86_64.rpm
From page: https://download.anytype.io

You are trying to install package created for a different distribution. Different distributions use different package names and different dependencies. Without knowing the distribution and its version it is impossible to even guess whether openSUSE package will be compatible.

You can always try to install ignoring dependencies and to run your program after that.

1 Like

Your best bet probably would be to search for the package on openSUSE Software and use one of the provided packages there.

I see, I didn’t know that. I thought it had standardized the contents as well as the container, but I guess that it’s just more like zip so it can contain anything. That makes it unfortunate when anyone publishing one doesn’t specify the distro it’s meant for.

Thanks, I didn’t know about that option. I tried it and it worked. “It’s an older code sir, but it checks out.”

If you used the 1-click option to install any rpm from that URL, you may have a lurking booby trap to bite you in the future. 1-clicks typically add another repo, which may become incompatible with updates or installing additional packages in the distant or not-so distant future. It’s a good idea to identify which repo was added and consider disabling it in order to avoid trouble it may cause. If you disable you can always try reenabling it if/when the package installed from it should get an update.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.