Problem Mounting JFS/HPFS Partition

Using KDE Desktop Dolphin and trying to open a couple of “devices” which are actually partitions with a copies of two dying drives, from which I am trying to read old files. I know these files can be read from OS/2 operating system and I am separately try to bring that OS back to life. Meanwhile, since HPFS is still supported in linux kernel I thought I would try and access the files on these “devices.”

If I go to the device in Dolphin I first get asked for authentication with root password. Once entered however I get a red banner warning:-

An error occurred while accessing '39.8 GiB Hard Drive', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb5 at /run/media/alastair/e97c07f4-0000-0000-0000-000000001c0e: Command-line `mount -t "jfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdb5" "/run/media/alastair/e97c07f4-0000-0000-0000-000000001c0e"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb5,
        missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
        dmesg | tail or so.

There are many different syslogs on the system and I am sure I will not understand what I find. Please can somebody suggest what I should do to access these devices.

The message says that it can not find on the partition that it contains indeed a valid jfs file system.

I assume it is up to you to prove that it is a valid jfs file system.

And of course you will bypass a lot of extra fuzz by trying the mount directly instead of leaving that to GUI interfaces.
E.g. (as root)

mount -t jfs /dev/sdb5 /mnt 

You should try to capture the system log entries relevant to your failed mount.

If you run the following <immediately> in a console after an event, you can capture the most recent 100 entries

journalctl -n 100

As of right now, your error only gives you a general type of error, nothing specific. <Maybe> something more specific is in the system logs.

I don’t know how reliable kernel modules for hpfs and jfs are, I’ve never heard anyone use them before and are not even mentioned in the mount MAN pages… Although the modules do exist. If they don’t work, as I mentioned in another thread in the Virtualiztion forum, you do have an alternative… Instead of using kernel modules you can install the FUSE modules (ntfs-3g) and try mounting in Userspace instead of kernel space.

TSU

Hi Tsu,
I tried to mount as root in terminal but received a similar error.
Did as you suggested but the results mean nothing to me. Before I waste people’s time I am trying a few other options. Will get back here if all else fails.
Thanks again,
Budge