Problem installing texlive through yast

I’m trying to install texlive through yast and I’d like to keep it within a “reasonable” size. I have disabled the recommended but the problem is that yast install on install stuff that is irrelevant to me, like:

• texlive-bable-hebrew
  • texlive-colortbl
  • texlive-hyphen-ancientgreek
  • texlive-hyphen-german
  • texlive-hyphen-greek
  • ukrenian…

I tried to uncheck these and they are not unchecking…

Any suggestion on how to somewhat trim tex?

Thanks

I tried on Tumbleweed:

$ sudo zypper install texlive
1671 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 549.9 MiB. Already cached: 0 B. After the operation, additional 993.2 MiB will be used.

Yes, that is quite some packages.

Reading here I think you should try TUG if size is of concern.

With or without recommends?

The following 41 recommended packages were automatically selected:
The following 1671 NEW packages are going to be installed:

So only a small part is recommended.

The problem is not the size, tex is very big. The problem is the “crud”, in my case: international languages like hebrew, ukranian, greek… that I cannot uninstall.

This is an opensuse problem because on my wife’s laptop running debian 11 bullseye and there is a “tex base” without all of these foreign languages.

Thanks

@elfroggio use no-recommends?

zypper in texlive
1674 new packages to install.

zypper install --no-recommends texlive
130 new packages to install.

Which is what I ended up doing, but:

1. 158 new packages to install.
  2. it installed: german + german-hyphen, italian, greek, ancient-greek, ukranian, babel-hebrew…

Thanks

In YaST you can uninstall and the block individual packages - tedious if you want to block a lot of them but it is there. Note that, even though there are lot of them, most LaTeX packages are very small.
The other question is: what other package did you install? LyX and Kile come with different selections of LaTeX packages - so you may be dependent on the ideas of the packager of another program.

If you really want a minimal install, I would suggest looking at https://www.tug.org/texlive/quickinstall.html, where you can choose what they consider a “scheme” that suggests several smaller-size installations.

I consider this the most “official” way to trim a texlive installation.

The benefit of this method of installation is that it is separate from openSUSE Tumbleweed system updates, which may be significantly more frequent than texlive updates. This keeps your Tumbleweed daily/weekly updates quicker!

The drawback is having to learn how to manually use and update your texlive installation using their built-in tlmgr facility on a quarterly or half-yearly basis.