Problem Installing Open Suse 11.3 along with Win 2008 R2 OS.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and linux ! I am trying to Install Open Suse 11.3 (burned as an ISO DVD) along with existing Win 2008 R2 OS. When I try to boot from the DVD it just logs in to Win2008 though boot from CD/DVD is enabled in the boot sequence. So i tried to mount the ISO and run from Windows ! BUT I get an error before installation starts telling that Win2008 R2 is not supported in open suse installer !!
Is there anything I can do to overcome this and install/retain both OS?
In fact I am even trying to c hange my win2008 from R2 to Enterprise to see if I can overcome the problem !

Thanks
Ram

Only install openSUSE by booting the dvd or cd

You must have the CD drive as the** First **boot device

Make sure the media is good first too
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/11.3%20Install/1.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/caf4926/113Slideshow

Also did you burn as an ISO image? Just copying the ISO file to the CD will not work.

@Gogalthorp : Thanks a lot !! I reburned my image as an image and now voila it boots from CD… I had one last Question regarding partitioning my system.

In the suggested partitioning page I am getting the following information:
Create extended partition /dev/sda2(70.30GB)
Create Swap volume /dev/sda5/(1.7GB)
Create root volume /dev/sda6(20GB) with ext4
Create volume /dev/sda7(40GB) for /home with ext4
Create volume /dev/sda8(8.60GB) for /local with vfat
set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /windows/C

I wanted to know if the set mount point to windows will mess up my windows 2008 OS which i already present in C??

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking into my issue and helping. I took a brave step and finally installed open suse using my knowledge and google help of course ! Installation went well and I was able to login to suse 1st time. When I re-started the system it presents me with options to load into any OS of my choice. BUT when I select Open Suse 11.3 (2.6.34.12) It loads the drivers and simply hangs giving a blank page !! What do I do ?? I am able to login to win2008 OS and to SUSE 11.3 only using fail safe method. Is there a any update I could do to overcome this issue and login normally ?

PS: I noticed a similar issue with 64 bit installation with 2.6.34.7 or earlier when installed on HP system. However my kernel version is much newer than that and my system is SuperMicro server with X7DWN+ BOARD and Intel 5400 chipset.
Any suggestions ?

-Thanks
Ram

This sounds like a Video problem. What video card/chip do you have?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for looking into my issue and helping. I took a brave step and finally installed open suse using my knowledge and google help of course ! Installation went well and I was able to login to suse 1st time. When I re-started the system it presents me with options to load into any OS of my choice. BUT when I select Open Suse 11.3 (2.6.34.12) It loads the drivers and simply hangs giving a blank page !! What do I do ?? I am able to login to win2008 OS and to SUSE 11.3 only using fail safe method. Is there a any update I could do to overcome this issue and login normally ?

PS: I noticed a similar issue with 64 bit installation with 2.6.34.7 or earlier when installed on HP system. However my kernel version is much newer than that and my system is SuperMicro server with X7DWN+ BOARD and Intel 5400 chipset.
Any suggestions ?

-Thanks
Ram
Before you select the standard openSUSE startup (not failsafe), type in the kernel load option:

nomodeset

And then press enter and see what that gets you. Nomodeset is part of the failsafe command, but just pertains to video only. Then, if that works, just as gogalthorp suggests, we need to know more about your video setup.

Thank You,

On 03/08/2011 03:06 AM, justkar4u wrote:
>
> BUT when I select Open Suse 11.3 (2.6.34.12) It loads the
> drivers and simply hangs giving a blank page !!
>

sounds like “Upon installing openSUSE, the X system’s automatic
configuration may have failed to properly configure the graphics
correctly. Typically this results in either a black screen upon reboot…”

this cite has, in one place, all you need to fix:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_graphics_cards

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

My system has ATI ES1000 display adapters and Intel 5400 chipset as seen from windows device manager. I also updated the drivers for the same and now installing all windows updates (hoping that it might help !). I am yet to check the nomodeset cmd as it is in the process of updating !

What you do in windows does nothing for openSUSE
Try nomodeset in the boot argument
or perhaps easier is to use the Failsafe option in the boot menu

Installing anything in Windows will not effect Linux and vis versa. They are separate, distinct and non connected things.

Hi everyone ,

Thanks a ton to all for helping solve this issue ! The suggestion for NOMODESET worked and I also ended up adding it to grub bootloader options permanently based on the info in this section. THis section was truely elaborate and informative and I learned a lot ! Linux is not that crazy afterall :wink:

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE

Hi everyone ,

Thanks a ton to all for helping solve this issue ! The suggestion for NOMODESET worked and I also ended up adding it to grub bootloader options permanently based on the info in this section. THis section was truely elaborate and informative and I learned a lot ! Linux is not that crazy afterall :wink:

SDB:Configuring graphics cards - openSUSE
Happy to hear of your success justkar4u. As a relative new use in these parts, lets first welcome you to the openSUSE forums. Get more info on forum operation here:

openSUSE Forums FAQ

Forum Message Counts:

As you start or answer any message thread here in the openSUSE forums.

Puzzled Penguin 0-49 (new users start with this level)
Student Penguin 50-99
Explorer Penguin 100-249
Busy Penguin 250-499
Parent Penguin 500-999
Wise Penguin 1000-1999
Omniscient Penguin 2000

Here is a picture of the message count symbols:

ImageBam - Fast, Free Image Hosting and Photo Sharing

FYI here are the reputation levels:

You can reward another user for the help they have provided you using
the reputation icon is in the lower left of any message that you read
which looks like a star.

REPUTATION LEVELS:

User is infamous around these parts -99999
User can only hope to improve -50
User has a little shameless behavior in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0-9 (new users start with this level)
User is on a distinguished road 10-19
User will become famous soon enough 20-149
User has a spectacular aura about 150-249
User is a jewel in the rough 250-349
User is just really nice 350-449
User is a glorious beacon of light 450-549
User is a name known to all 550-649
User is a splendid one to behold 650-999
User has much to be proud of 1000-1499
User has a brilliant future 1500-1999
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000

Thank You,