Problem installing Aterm

I went here: aterm-1.0.1-1.2.x86_64.rpm openSUSE 11.4 Download Mirrors and downloaded Aterm. When trying to install, I got the following annoying message:

A problem that we were not expecting has occurred.
Please report this bug with the error description. Details: [PK_TMP_DIR|dir:///var/tmp/TmpDir.BkTOin] Repository already exists.

Why is that?

You don’t have to download the package. You should install the Contrib repo, then aterm:

$ su -l
# zypper ar [noparse]http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/11.4:/Contrib/standard/[/noparse]   openSUSE:Contrib
# zypper refresh
# zypper in aterm

$ **zypper info aterm**

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

Information for package aterm:

Repository: @System
Name: aterm
Version: 1.0.1-1.2
Arch: x86_64
Vendor: obs://build.opensuse.org/openSUSE:11.4:Contrib
Installed: Yes
Installed Size: 256.0 KiB
Summary: A terminal emulator with transparency support
Description: 
aterm is the X Terminal Emulator. Originated from rxvt 2.4.8 it
strives to provide user with complete control over its look. Features
include fast transparency with shading and tinting, NeXTish scrollbar,
fading when unfocused and more.

I use aterm a lot. Unfortunately it doesn’t work with ncurses applications (such as yast in console mode, alsamixer, updategrub, etc).

Thanks!
No, it doesn’t :frowning:

May I suggest rxvt-unicode? It supports UTF8, transparency and works with ncurses. It is in the standard repo, so you would just have to type:

sudo zypper in rxvt-unicode

This is probably a better choice of terminal nowadays, although I’m still using aterm too (mostly for historical reasons).

I see this one works smoothly with ncurses.

Do I have to keep desktop effects enabled for the rxvt transparency to work? 'Cause I’ve set transparency for rxvt in .Xdefaults, but it doesn’t seem to work…I guess I’ll have to enable the desktop effects, it seems logical.

I use this:

URxvt*transparent:true

Not necessary desktop effetcts but compositing (with comes to the same under KDE but not under Gnome). I have a script to enable/disable compositing in any situation and under each environment. It’s posted here: compositor: quickly sets/unsets compositing (helps with fullscreen Flash on ATI). Whether compositing is needed or not for terminal transparency depends on the DE. Kde sucks because it doesn’t use a true background. Let me check! …

That’s what I suspected: transparency doesn’t work in KDE. It works otherwise (sometimes with or without compositing), even under twm! lol!
I use a transparent borderless terminal in the background of all wms, except KDE, because it doesn’t work. You need something like semi-transparency. I had a similar problem with conky - finally got it fixed, but it wasn’t fun.

Notice that parsing X resources in KDE is not obvious. I would double check whit xrdb -merge. I don’t know about user resources, but for the system-wide, I have to use a script in ~/.kde4/Autostart and I never got it to work for applications which are restarted by the session manager.

Xfce terminal works with transparency when compositing is enable under KDE. I believe Gnome Terminal and konsole would work too, but I haven’t tried.

Then I’ll switch to Gnome :slight_smile: