Problem installing 12.1

Greetings to everyone.I tried to install 12.1 (kde) but the installation fails at the first reboot.To be more precise it completed all the installation and at the closing screen (like the one we see when we shut down the pc) the screen ‘breaks’ and stucks there with some green horizontal lines.I hope i explained the situation.I used the DVD edition for the install.

Just leave it for 10 mins or so
Reboot, forced probably

Choose the Failsafe boot from the boot menu or add nomodeset to the boot argument
Login to desktop
Install your nvidia driver and all will be good

thanks for the fast reply.i cannot choose failsafe boot from the boot menu.in my pc i have 2 internal hard disks.in one of them i have windows 7 installed.I installed open suse 12.1 in the second and i chose those adjustments during the installation so i could add the linux system(suse) with easybcd through windows.I added the entry but when i turn on the pc and choose open suse it returns the same screen to choose between windows and suse which is logical i think since the installation of suse failed at the very end.

The installation doesn’t fail, it the graphics driver that’s the problem.
If you are using easybcd then show me the code from it’s config file that it uses to boot SUSE

How do i do that?

Darn if I know
That’s windows stuff
Advanced Entry Settings - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
Edit boot menu??!

I note you have a nvidia card mentioned in your sig. I had a problem with two different nVidia cards when installing 12.1 during the 1st reboot during the install, which I documented here: OpenSUSE-12.1 installation nvidia workarounds - Blogs - openSUSE Forums … fortunately I have a nice simple boot manager setup, and don’t rely on windoze software to complicate the boot setup.

Ha ha ha,you are right.I cannot find where this file you are asking is,also i do not see anything useful in the options of the program.The overview shows this

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 15 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: openSUSE
BCD ID: {bda3af07-fcbb-11e0-9626-9ef3b6739209}
Drive: D:
Bootloader Path: \NST
st_linux.mbr

if it helps.

How the hell did those smileys got in the way?

exactly the same screen as @oldcpu posted.

You could try a ‘safesettings’ install (done by an appropriate Fx key selection when installing and the grub menu first comes up - I can not remember which Fx key). Or try an install with the boot code ‘nomodeset’.

i cannot do these,the booting screen is this of the windows (see my previous posts).

why would that stop a re-install with safe settings ? What am I missing ?

He’s using EasyBCD Lee

… ok … I know nothing about EasyBCD. … So is this the case that a person with EasyBCD can not re-install openSUSE ? … strange …

No
I’m sure he can re-install. That would be my recommendation and dump that crud and use Grub.

Completely agree. I suggest to take a look in the easybcd forums, if that’s not desired.

@hocico0777 -

The easiest route to take is to reinstall, keeping note of what you saw in the screens @oldcpu posted. Before you do that, be sure to delete the openSUSE entry from EasyBCD. You suspicion is correct by the way, you are in the boot loop because for some reason Windows is failing to hand-off to grub stage1 in the boot sector of the partition where you installed openSUSE.

EasyBCD is actually a pretty good tool. It is simply a gui front-end to the awful command line tool which is all that MS provides to maintain its boot loader database (introduced with Vista). There are a couple of MS Knowledge Base articles that provide detail for using that tool, but the syntax is very arcane and unfriendly. If you want Vista or W7 to control booting the machine, EasyBCD is the way to go.

What is very important is that during openSUSE Boot Loader installation you enter the dialog manually and make sure that you install grub to the boot sector of the openSUSE root partition (or if you are using a separate boot partition, install it there instead). It can be either a primary or a logical within the extended partition; Windows can handle both now. Then in EasyBCD you need to add a “Linux” type entry pointing to that partition. When you boot Windows the process is (a) code in the MBR calls code in the C: partition /boot directory which (b) reads the database in that directory for the location of the partition boot sector you selected and then (c) chainloads to the code in that sector. It’s actually rather similar to how grub works.

If you find that there is something preventing the openSUSE installation from completing properly including installing the grub boot sector, you can boot the machine with a Live-CD and install the grub boot sector manually from a terminal. then add your EasyBCD entry.

I would be cautious at this point installing grub to the MBR until you resolve whatever is preventing a complete clean installation, or you may find the machine unbootable.

I neglected to mention in my previous reply: From the Windows boot database record you posted, it appears that you had openSUSE install grub in the MBR of the second disk, probably taking the default automatic configuration. Since you are using the Windows boot manager, you will have a better chance of success installing grub to the partition boot sector instead (as I had suggested).

If the Windows-to-grub process still does not work after trying the above, then I suggest that you temporarily change the boot device order in the bios before installing openSUSE, to have the second disk be the primary boot disk. Then in the openSUSE Boot Loader installation, manually enter the dialog and once again under Boot Loader Location check the root partition. Also - and this is absolutely critical - if you are installing to a logical partition, then in the Custom Boot Partition field type in the extended partition (probably /dev/sdb4). Then under Boot Loader Options check the boxes "Set active flag . . . " and "Write generic code . . . ". Back under the Section Management tab, you will see a section for Windows. What all of this will do is put DOS code (the “generic”) in the second disk MBR, which is actually what Windows has in the first disk’s MBR, too. That code simply looks in the partition table for the primary partition with the “active” (or “boot”) flag set, and hands-off to the code in the boot sector in that partition, which is where you will have installed grub. The grub code in the boot sector has a pointer to where to find the actual boot loader code and the kernel. With this method, you should be able to re-boot openSUSE and complete the installation (and if you wish, have grub hand-off to the Windows boot loader on the first disk; there will be a selection for that on the menu). You also will be able to boot openSUSE anytime in the future independent of Windows, by making the second disk the primary boot disk in the bios; many bios’s now allow you to make that selection on-the-fly rather than having to enter the bios setup at all. Most important, you will also have completely avoided touching any of the boot mechanism on the first disk. In short, you will have set up the machine to be bootable from both disks, and each boot manager will be able to hand-off the boot to the other boot manager.

I managed to fix the installation.From easybcd i chose to add the suse from the mac tab in the add new entry option and not linux/bsd.why it works this way i do not know,:open_mouth:
Then i chose to boot normaly and not in failsafe mode.It said that the installation was not completed fully(something like that) and it tried to complete/update the installation,it went on doing that(i do not know if the fact that i had my internet connection on helped or was essential during the process) and at some point finished, succesfully as it seems.First thing i did after that is to install closed nvidia drivers.Thanks to everyone for their help.