Problem grub - DualBoot

Google Translate (Sorry!)

Hello everyone.

I am needing your help a lot.

I installed openSUSE 11.1 on my laptop with Windows 7.

How does suse does not recognize my video card right, I decided to remove it. Only I did not do right (the result). I used Manages disk windows 7 and excludes the suse partition.

Hence, when a screen appeared rebooted grub. And now? What to do? I typed all the commands the screen and nothing came up … I’m afraid I have lost my data from Windows …

I await a solution …

Brazilian Portuguese…

Olá a todos.

Estou precisando bastante da sua ajuda.

Eu instalei o openSUSE 11.1 no meu notebook junto com Windows 7.

Como o suse não reconheceu minha placa de vídeo direito, eu decidi retirá-lo. Só que eu não fiz direito (pelo resultado). Eu usei o gereciamento de disco do windows 7 e exclui a partição do suse.

Daí, quando reiniciei apareceu uma tela do grub. E agora? O que fazer? Digitei todos os comandos da tela e nada apareceu… Temo ter perdido os meus dados do Windows…

Aguardo uma solução…

I think you are saying you installed suse 11.1
Then decided to delete it from Windows

Now you can’t boot anything?

If you don’t have a windows DVD, then you need to download this:
Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files
And fix the MBR boot record for windows

Google Translate (Sorry!)

Hello everyone.

I am needing your help a lot.

I installed openSUSE 11.1 on my laptop with Windows 7.

How does suse does not recognize my video card right, I decided to remove it. Only I did not do right (the result). I used Manages disk windows 7 and excludes the suse partition.

Hence, when a screen appeared rebooted grub. And now? What to do? I typed all the commands the screen and nothing came up … I’m afraid I have lost my data from Windows …

I await a solution …
Since you are talking online, you have access to a computer that works. When you say you “suse does not recognize my video card right, I decided to remove it”, what does that mean? On most laptops, you can’t remove your video card unless it has two. If you removed any hardware, I suggest you reinstall it. I suggest you download and make the GPARTed boot disk, you can get it here:

GParted - Browse /gparted-live-stable at SourceForge.net

You can boot from this disk to fix any sort of partition problem. Normally, Windows 7 has two partitions, a small boot partition and a larger one where most of Windows is loaded. Next, since this is a laptop, it might have a restore partition. For openSUSE to install, it needs two (minimum) or three (recommended) more partitions. These partitions are called swap, main or root / and /home. You can have only four primary partitions, so openSUSE may have created an Extended Partition Four ( just a container partition for Logical ones) and then made three Logical partitions inside for swap, root / and /home. Next is the location of the Grub boot loader which may have been placed in the MBR (Master Boot Record). If you installed openSUSE, placing Grub into the MBR and then removed the root / partition, you removed the grub menu and thus no part of openSUSE or Windows will load. It is hard to know more without more information from you.

Thank You,

iCl4w wrote:
> -GOOGLE TRANSLATE (SORRY!)-

no problem…

> I await a solution …

wait is GOOD, do not try everything you can think of…wait for good
help…maybe windows remains safe, but not simple to get too…

do you have a Live CD for openSUSE 11.1, or is it the DVD? do you know
how to boot from the openSUSE install disk you have and then go to a
terminal and issue this command:

sudo /sbin/fdisk -l

then copy/paste that back to here using the instructions here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=451526

then WAIT for answer…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]
Programming: a race between software engineers building bigger/better
idiot-proof programs, and the universe building bigger/better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning. Rick Cook

If I understand you used the Windows 7 boot manager to set up Opensuse?

Please be patient and wait until those who reply fully understand your problem and request.

You may only need to reinstall Grub

Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic

HowTo Boot into openSUSE when it won’t Boot from the Grub Code on the Hard Drive

Please post output requested by DenverD before you make any changes

sudo /usr/bin/fdisk -l 

I think that icl4w installed Suse successfully but ran into a video problem with Nvidia or ATI cards, then booted to windows and used the widnows partition tool to delete the Linux partitions.

Then rebooted but the grub menu was deleted so the machine won’t boot.

If that is all true, then use the windows install disk to repair the windows bootloader.

Yes but I think its the Opensuse that doesn’t boot not the Windows 7. I don’t know how to use the Windows 7 boot loader.

You missed my point, which was: maybe the OP removed openSUSE.

used Manages disk windows 7 and excludes the suse partition

If the openSUSE boot menu has been removed, then windows will never boot from the Grub bootloader. But we need to hear from iCl4w to confirm if openSUSE partitions are gone, or not gone.

For the OP or for other viewers who need to restore booting to windows 7:

Boot off the windows 7 installation DVD
Proceed to the screen “Windows 7 / Install Now” BUT DO NOT click to install
Select to “Repair your computer”
Select/put the dot next to “Use recovery tools that can help fix problems” → Next
Select “command prompt”
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
enter this command: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
enter this command: exit
Click to Restart

Note 1: this process works also for vista

Note 2: If you receive the response “element not found” when you run the bootrec command, or if you do not see the windows 7 installation listed on the screen “Windows 7 / Install Now”, then it’s likely that the boot flag was moved off the windows boot partition and onto an openSUSE partition during the installation of openSUSE. you need to restore the boot flag to the windows boot partition and then start the recovery process with the windows 7 dvd over again.

Oh! Thank you.

I just did a repair with the Windows 7 DVD and boot back to work.

I am very grateful to everyone who responded …

I decided to remove it", what does that mean? On most laptops, you can’t remove your video card unless it has two. If you removed any hardware, I suggest you reinstall it.

I remove the openSuSE… not the video card! :wink:

But how can I safely remove the openSuSE (no alarms) if version 11.3 does not recognize my video card?

Again, I appreciate everyone’s attention … And I apologize for using Google Translate =(

But how can I safely remove the openSuSE (no alarms) if version 11.3 does not recognize my video card?

Basically you do what you just did. Delete the Linux partitions with the windows disk manager and repair the windows boot code with the windows DVD

It would be helpful if we knew what your video card was, you didn’t say did you…?

Do you want to remove OpenSuSe or fix the video?

You may be able to make the video card work with OpenSuse if you use an older video driver.
You will need to provide us with information from your opensuse install.

If you want to get rid of OpenSuSe I think you can delete the partitions that contain OpenSuse using the Windows Bootloader. After that you can format those partitions for Windows 7.
I’m not sure how to do that using Windows 7 boot loader.

Have a look in windows hardware manager at the video card. Go to Control Panel → View By small icons → System → (LHS) Advanced System Settings → Hardware → Device manager → Display Adapters.

Tell us what it says.

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500.

You can adjust the opensuse to the my video adapter?

I found the following WIKI on the GMA 500

GMA 500 on Linux

GMA 500 support on Linux is not optimal. The driver is developed by Tungsten Graphics, not by Intel, and the graphic core is not an Intel one, but is licensed from PowerVR. This has led to an uncertain mix of open and closed source 3d accelerated drivers, instability and lack of support.
Ubuntu is the Linux distribution that best supports GMA500 (Poulsbo), through the use of the ubuntu-mobile and gma500 repositories on Launchpad. Support is present for 8.04, 8.10, 9.04, 9.10 and in an experimental way for 10.04 and 10.10, but the installation procedure is not as simple as other drivers and can lead to many bugs.[76]](Intel GMA - Wikipedia)
Jolicloud, a Linux based OS optimized for netbooks, has a driver for the GMA500 built in.
PixieLive, a GNU/Linux live distribution optimized for GMA500 netbooks, it can boot from USB Pendrive, SD Card or HardDisk.
Intel releases official Linux drivers through the IEGD (Intel Embedded Graphic Driver) supporting some Linux distributions dedicated to the embedded market.
GMA500 is capable of running well in Ubuntu 9.10 with Compiz visual effects activated.[77]](Intel GMA - Wikipedia)
In November 2009, the Linux Foundation released the details of a new, rewritten Linux driver that would support this chipset and Intel’s other upcoming chipsets. The Direct Rendering Manager and X.org parts would be free software, but the 3D component (using Gallium3D) will still be proprietary.[78]](Intel GMA - Wikipedia)

Thank You,

I try install openSuSE 11.3, but the installation screen doesn’t load!

The boot screen appears, with the installation option, but the other screen does not load. What you begin to configure the OS.

No problem on the DVD, because in my i3 he loaded correctly, and fast. I waited with my Atom, about 10 minutes … and the progress bar did not load anything.

Thank you jdmcdaniel3! But, I already knew this information!

My Configuration:
Acer Aspire One O751h
CPU Atom Z530
Intel GMA 500
HD 250GB
2GB RAM DDR2

Anyway, I again thank you all for your attention.

I am a beginner-intermediate web developer. I work with php and webstandards. Besides that I really want to learn to program in Java and Python on SuSE. So, with my configuration, what is the best window manager for my setup? KDE or Gnome?

I have an Aspire One – but I have these specifications, different from yours:
Intel GMA 3150
1Gb RAM, Intel Atom N450 CPU

I try install openSuSE 11.3, but the installation screen doesn’t load!

The boot screen appears, with the installation option, but the other screen does not load. What you begin to configure the OS.

I connected a USB portable DVD optical disk drive to my Aspire One to install openSUSE.
How is your Aspire One connected to the installation media to install openSUSE?

what is the best window manager for my setup? KDE or Gnome?

You would turn off any fancy windows effects because the CPU is too weak, so I think it does not matter which you use (KDE, LXDE, Gnome) for the work you describe.

Hi

First.

How is your Aspire One connected to the installation media to install openSUSE?

I’m using external dvd too.

I managed to install openSuSE 11.3, openSuSE11_3_LOCAL installing the file directly from cd. Once installed, accessing the Windows 7 and again, he asked to uninstall the file * _local … I uninstalled.

Only on the boot screen when I press enter in the Windows option is shown a screen to choose between Windows 7 and that executable I had already uninstalled. How to remove it?

I’m struggling with your somewhat broken English. Can you try and speak in complete sentences and with proper grammar ? Otherwise we can’t be sure what you are saying exactly.
It sounds like you have the SUSE installer in the windows boot sector.

So guess what - You need to repair the windows boot sector again with the windows DVD.
Once you do that, you will only be able to boot windows.

To get SUSE back with Grub, follow this
Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic