Problem: Dual boot 12.1,Windows XP ( with a hack get around )

I have upgraded 2 computers ( 32 bit and 64 bit ) - previously both PCs were running with 12.1 with no problems.

64 bit PC has 2 drives - /dev/hda is for Windows 7 - /dev/hdb is for 12.2
No problems here - install was a breeze - much improvement in performance !

32 bit PC has 2 drives = /dev/hda is for Windows XP - /dev/hdb us for 12.2
Problem is here ( 32 bit )

On Boot up messages are like so:

1. “Verify DMI Pool Data”

2. “Boot From DVD/CD”

3. “Grub loading”

4. “Welcome to GRUB”

5. error message “/boot/grub2/locale/en.mo.gz not found”
    I checked on both PCs ( 32 and 64) and of course this file does not exist - just like it says!

6. then the boot menu
    “do you want to boot to Linux? or to Windows ?”

If you choose Windows XP - PC boots up to windows OK
    If you choose Linux - then you get the screen with the circles running around
    If you punch the Pause/Break key ( while the circles running around ! ) - Linux Boots up just likes its supposed to
    If you do not punch in ( Pause/Break ) - well I get a messed up display
    on my PC I get a bunch of Black and White rectangles

I am totally confused here ? Does anybody have any ideas?

I have looked through the Install/Boot/Login postings - I do not see a solution to this problem, although I do
    see many similarly worded inquiries - like “dual boot WIndows7 / 12.2”

Should I be using GRUB or GRUB2 here ? If I look in "YAST | Software Management | grub "
    I see both GRUB and GRUB2 have been loaded in my bare bones install. There is also a
    cautionary note about using GRUB2 ?

I assume the GRUB is being used here  only because it was used in 12.1 ( and on many previous versions) ?

During install is used "New Installation " option and  "Use Automatic Configuration = YES"

I did not pay any attention to the md5sum - after reading a few posts - I realize that this was not a good idea !

As for a graphics card - well I am not sure but I think on my PC the video card is part of the mother board ( is this correct ? )
    I have not had any problems with video on previous versions on SUSE Linux. So am in in error thinking that
    in spite of this - the problem could be related to the video card ? or perhaps the driver ?

thank you for help - Leland

12.1 used legacy grub not grub 2

you should remove grub 2 from the install
then mark the kernel for re-installation, this should re-write the code
If necessary we can re-write grub to the MBR too but see if this helps

This is known and can be ignored. Should be fixed with future updates.

If you punch the Pause/Break key ( while the circles running around ! ) - Linux Boots up just likes its supposed to
If you do not punch in ( Pause/Break ) - well I get a messed up display
on my PC I get a bunch of Black and White rectangles

If you have nVidia card, this is known problem that is fixed with recent kernel update. Alternatively using proprietary nVidia drivers may help (I had too much issues with them to actually recommend).