problem booting into opensuse 12.3

Hello, I am once again having problems booting into opensuse on a dual boot machine. This problem is sudden and new.

I was getting some intermittent errors from ruby so I decided to reboot. I got the page with the branch and the lizzard on it, but it just sat there. If I hit esc, I got a message,

resume device not found (ignoring) waiting for device /dev/sdc3 to appear

This is similar to an issue that happened on another machine a few years ago.
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/471705-boot-into-suse-12-1-fails(waiting-for-device)

I never get past the “waiting for device”. I can boot into windows with no problem. Windows is on a different physical drive so I will boot from live linux and see if I can access the drive with opensuse on it. I suppose it’s possible the drive died but that would be strange for it to work fine and then die on a reboot. Presuming the drive is ok, how do I get back into opensuse? I have not changed anything on this machine for quite a while so its odd that it suddenly won’t work.

Any suggestions?

**LMHmedchem **

12.3 reached end of life in January 2015

So what is on sdc3 partition???

The device is not working maybe??

How mnay drive do you have the above seem to indicate 3 drives. Is that what you have??

That’s lovely, but I still need to use opensuse 12. There is no good reason at all why an operating system should not continue to work indefinitely as long as there are no other hardware and software changes as is the case here.

There are some major bugs in ruby 2 and since yast is now built on ruby, there is no convenient way to run opensuse 13 with an earlier version ruby. Most of my ruby scripts fail and the bugs have been reported. Until these bugs are fixed, I am going to have to keep opensuse 12. This is not exactly uncommon when there are upgrades to OSs and their major packages and this is something that should always be kept in mind when sun-setting older versions. Many users simply cannot upgrade to the latest and far too often no-so-greatest version.

The fact that 12.3 has reached end of life according to someone somewhere who decided that has little bearing on why it suddenly won’t boot. The server does not have an internet connection, so I doubt it got the email telling it that is now obsolete and not allowed to run anymore. Anyway, unless 12.3 was canned because of recurrent boot problems, I’m not sure why end of life matters.

Sorry, the error message referenced,

could not find /dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT-many-numbers-here-part2

and not sdc3, that was a copy and paste error.

I was able to access the drive and files from Ubuntu Live and the Ubuntu disk utility gave it a “healthy” status. That rules out a problem with the drive, the sata cable, or the motherboard sata port.

I have two physical drives. There is a Crucial M4 SSD that has opensuse 12.3 on it and a WD platter drive with windows and some storage.

The M4 has a 8GB “/swap” partition, a 32GB partition for “/” and a 92GB partition for “/home”. It seems like something must have gotten messed up in grub for it to not find /dev/root where it is looking.

I was wondering if I should try the boot repair disk or super grub to see if I can get in that way.

LMHmedchem

That long string is the ID number of a drive + a partition number 2. So it is the second partition on the drive it can not find. This is a mounting problem not a grub problem grub does not use that notation. So what is on the second partition? Is it root I guess?

/dev/disk/by-id is a system generated location and does not exist on the drive and is not used by grub

There is no such thing as /dev/root but I guess you mean the root partition /

Try and mount that partition from the Ubuntu OS. While there you may want to check the etc/fstab file on the problem partition and see if that is correctly formatted and that those long numbers match the actual /dev/disk file

Anything else we might need to know like is it encrypted??

The on the disk I am trying to boot from, swap is the first partition, root is the second, and home is the third. The notation dev/root comes from the error message I get when trying to boot. The error says, “waiting for dev/root”. That location doesn’t make any sense but I thought I would post it since that is what the error message actually says.

So it sounds like the etc/fstab entry for the root partition is messed up somehow and is not pointing to the proper location.

I don’t know Ubuntu very well, is there a command line instruction that will give me the pertinent information about the disk id’s and such that I can compare to the fstab file?

The drive is not encrypted. This seems like an odd thing to get corrupted. By what means could the fstab file become altered in such a way that the machine will no longer boot after operating properly for months?

LMHmedchem

This is the fstab file for the SSD,

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT128M4SSD1_000000001224090D349D-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT128M4SSD1_000000001224090D349D-part2 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-M4-CT128M4SSD1_000000001224090D349D-part3 /home                ext4       defaults              1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

The number 000000001224090D349D matches the serial number of the drive given in Ubuntu disk utilities. I ran “check file system” in Ubuntu disk utilitles for both the root and home partitions and both came back as clean file systems.

I’m not sure what else to look for here.

LMHmedchem

Have you tried a utility disk such as supergrubdisk to see if it can boot openSUSE
Or make a small installation of Ubuntu in some free space and see if it’s grub will boot it?

The only thing I have tried is the rescue utility in the opensuse installer. That didn’t do anything. I will try supergrub2 and the boot repair disk tomorrow. This server doesn’t have an optical drive so I have to burn some utilities onto flash drives.

LMHmedchem