Problem accessing server partition

I’m new to OpenSUSE but not to Linux. I’m running Ubuntu Server with a couple of partitions to hold pictures, music, and some files. I opted for OpenSUSE because I wanted to try a different distro and it looks like it has a lot to offer.

I set up SAMBA and SSH on Ubuntu Server and I have no problem accessing all the partitions from Windows XP. I can also access the partitions with OpenSUSE. I cannot access my music partition on OpenSUSE, though. The folders are mp3 files I ripped from my CD. Amorok and Kaffeine will not open the files. I get a dialog box with an “X” when I try to open the files.

I thought this might be an OpenSUSE firewall issue but I can access the other partitions so I kind of doubt it. Maybe there is something specific to Amorok and Kaffeine that I’m missing.

I’m maybe an intermediate Linux user. I’m also not a network admin so hopefully this isn’t a complicated network issue. I appreciate any pointers I can get on this problem. Thanks.

Mark

You realise that out of the box, no codecs for restricted formats are installed, so Amarok and Kaffeine cannot play those clips. There’s a how to for installing restricted formats codecs, search for it in the forum.

I didn’t know there was an issue with mp3 being a restricted format. These files play with practically every other media player I’ve used. Thanks for the info and the quick reply.

Mark

Those codecs are not legal in all jurisdictions due to patent issues. Novell can’t get involved with anything that could be legally risky.

I just took for granted that it should work but I understand what you’re saying. I think I found what I need to make it work and I appreciate your help. Thanks again for the info.

This will be of interest: Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Thanks! I understand the “do your own homework/research, RTFM” ethos so I was prepared to do that but I wasn’t sure which direction I should start looking. I hadn’t really considered the codec issue. Now I can start using my OpenSUSE box a little sooner. Thanks.

Mark

Just an afterthought Mark, concerning this:

I cannot access my music partition on OpenSUSE, though. The folders are mp3 files I ripped from my CD. Amorok and Kaffeine will not open the files. I get a dialog box with an “X” when I try to open the files.

Do you mean that when using the openSUSE window manager (KDE or Gnome) that you can’t play the MP3s, or do you mean when accessing them from Ubuntu, over the LAN?

Actually both. I had to learn how OpenSUSE works with respect to the file manager (“Dolphin”). Once I found the navigation bar, I had to figure out how to access Ubuntu Server. In Windows, I just typed the IP address. Dolphin was a little different in that I couldn’t just type the IP address but needed to use “smb:/” followed by the IP.

When I figured out how to see the partition in Dolphin, I clicked an mp3 file and Amarok came up followed by an “X.”

Actually both.

For the fault where you can’t play media in openSUSE, install the codecs etc using the link I gave.
For the fault where you can’t play media files (residing in openSUSE) over the network in Ubuntu, mount the share with a cifs mount so the media appear in a directory in Ububtu. Then they should play.

Thanks. I suffered through Smoothwall (hardware firewall) and Ubuntu Server and I’ve never been given so much help. I’ve wanted to learn Linux so I willfully subjected myself to the torture but it was a lot of RTFM responses (in the end it was still worth it). I kind of got used to that and spent hours/days at the library. I have to say, though, this forum rocks! Thank you for all of your help.

Mark

It’s a pleasure to assist