Prism 2.5 with hostap_pci and WPA

Hi all! Suse 11.1 tries to use my Prism 2.5 card with orinoco_pci, which does not work (or supports WPA).
My card works if I manually remove (modprobe -r) hermes, orinoco_pci, orinoco and add hostap_pci.
Only then WPA-support shows up in the YAST-network manager.
How can I prevent YAST to manage the interface to have it run even after a reboot?

suseMacrob wrote:
> Hi all! Suse 11.1 tries to use my Prism 2.5 card with orinoco_pci, which
> does not work (or supports WPA).
> My card works if I manually remove (modprobe -r) hermes, orinoco_pci,
> orinoco and add hostap_pci.
> Only then WPA-support shows up in the YAST-network manager.
> How can I prevent YAST to manage the interface to have it run even
> after a reboot?

You need to modify the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist by adding the names of all
the modules that must be removed (hermes, orinoco_pci, and orinoco) and add
hostap_pci to the MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. You can do the latter by changing
/etc/sysconfig/kernel or by using YaST => System => /etc/sysconfig Editor under
System/Kernel.

Larry

Thanks Larry! It works.

How would I do this for SUSE 12.1? I can’t seem to find how to blacklist orinoco. should I just try uninstalling it?

On 03/08/2012 09:46 PM, NegraCardio wrote:
>
> lwfinger;1956642 Wrote:
>> suseMacrob wrote:
>>> Hi all! Suse 11.1 tries to use my Prism 2.5 card with orinoco_pci,
>> which
>>> does not work (or supports WPA).
>>> My card works if I manually remove (modprobe -r) hermes,
>> orinoco_pci,
>>> orinoco and add hostap_pci.
>>> Only then WPA-support shows up in the YAST-network manager.
>>> How can I prevent YAST to manage the interface to have it run even
>>> after a reboot?
>>
>> You need to modify the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist by adding the
>> names of all
>> the modules that must be removed (hermes, orinoco_pci, and orinoco) and
>> add
>> hostap_pci to the MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT. You can do the latter by
>> changing
>> /etc/sysconfig/kernel or by using YaST => System => /etc/sysconfig
>> Editor under
>> System/Kernel.
>>
>> Larry
>
>
> How would I do this for SUSE 12.1? I can’t seem to find how to
> blacklist orinoco. should I just try uninstalling it?

How do plan to uninstall it? Blacklisting in 12.1 is just like it was in 11.4.

How would I do this for SUSE 12.1? I can’t seem to find how to blacklist orinoco. should I just try uninstalling it?

There is a blacklist file in /etc/modprobe.d/ (50-blacklist.conf) where you can add drivers you wish to blacklist. It is a system file, so you’ll need root credentials to edit. Hopefully, you can cope with that.