Printer?Scanner Drivers

Can anyone with 11.4 installed tell me whether both printer and scanner are supported for the Canon Pixma MX320? 11.2, now installed, required driver download from Canon. No support for scanner. I see that 11.3 provides scanner driver but not for the printer. I don’t want to waste bandwidth and time downloading 11.4 only to find that I have the same problem. :question:

johmidl wrote:

>
> Can anyone with 11.4 installed tell me whether both printer and scanner
> are supported for the Canon Pixma MX320? 11.2, now installed, required
> driver download from Canon. No support for scanner. I see that 11.3
> provides scanner driver but not for the printer. I don’t want to waste
> bandwidth and time downloading 11.4 only to find that I have the same
> problem. :question:
>
I am not an owner of this device so take this with a grain of salt, I looked
into the yast printer module and showed all canon drivers. There is no
driver for the MX320 visible (11.4 64bit).

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.1 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

In yast - scanner the MX320 is shown with a note that it was not tested.

PC: oS 11.3 64 bit | Intel Core2 Quad Q8300@2.50GHz | KDE 4.6.1 | GeForce
9600 GT | 4GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.6.0 | nVidia
ION | 3GB Ram

I suspect the answer is YES, in that it likely works (WITH DIFFICULTY) with both printing and scanning in openSUSE-11.1, 11.2, 11.3, and 11.4, BUT I can see from your past threads on our forum that you struggled here and never succeeded getting both (printing and scanning) running at the same time in the past on openSUSE. I think it possible but it will be difficult, and its NOT a thread I would want to be involved in. I deliberately avoid Canon printers to avoid the very difficult configuration problem you have run into (instead I pay the extra costs for HP where it is easier IMHO to setup in Linux).

That unfortunately is a support barrier you will run into in this forum, as many of the more advanced users do not want to struggle with a printer from a manufacturer whose support is less than ideal and they tend to purchase printers from HP where the support in most (not all) cases tends to better.

Still, hopefully one of our forum Canon fans (and we have some) will chime in and help …

If your PC has lots of RAM, you could boot to an openSUSE-11.4 liveCD, and spend some time trying to configure from the liveCD (of course once you reboot the settings will be lost, but as a proof of concept it will save you having to install on the hard drive).

Note also there is an opensource Canon support forum: OpenPrinting User Forums :: Printers from Canon

Best wishes.