Printer Canon LBP 3100 - Not printing Headache

Hello everyone!
I have just installed OpenSUSE 11.4. Everything works perfectly on my HP Probook 4520s
EXCEPT my canon printer LBP3100.
I downloaded the files from Canon for the CAPT and CUPS drivers ver 1.90.
Installed and did exactly as they said in their manual.
When I plug in and add printer with YaST, Open SUSE sees the printer and installs it.
However when I try to print, nothing comes out!!
Its really frustrating. Does someone have an idea how I should proceed?
Please Help!

I’m not familiar with Canon printers (avoid them like the plague). However, do you have 64-bit OS installed? I’m wondering if you installed a 32-bit driver?

I don’t wish to confuse you further, but this Fedora thread may be helpful. It discusses a different (but similar) model, and post #5 seems to record success with the installation, after stopping the HAL daemon (hald). However, AFAIU HAL isn’t present with 11.4, so this may not be relevant (‘ps -A |grep hald’ will confirm).

The OP mentioned that they compiled and installed 64-bit drivers (for their 64-bit OS). So make sure you have the correct drivers for your system first.

I notice reference was also made to the ccpd daemon (post #1), and that it needs to be stopped before printer configuration is done, and started again afterwards.

Maybe someone with a similar Canon printer can advise further…

FWIW, I wanted to bring your attention to:

HCL Printers - openSUSE

where there is a thread link included (concerning Canon LBP for 64-bit users):

Canon LBB5100 Capt Driver x86_64

In particular, post #6 may be helpful.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your help
I did exactly as it was said but does not work! I will try the fedora way to see!
Forgot to say - i’m in 32 bits still. 64 bits is even worse from what I heard

It might also pay to check /var/log/cups/error_log for any messages that may shed light on the problem.

Hi Deano_ferrari
thanks for your help with this driver.
I have been battling for some days now but no success.
I tried installing the drivers using the software update of Yast and then doing an autoconfiguration via Yast for all locally connected printers.
Still nothing…
Is there a Bug with the printer and Yast or is it me?

I have also tried to diasable the firewall just incase… but no luck

I tried installing the drivers using the software update of Yast and then doing an autoconfiguration via Yast for all locally connected printers.
Still nothing…
Is there a Bug with the printer and Yast or is it me?

I’m not familiar with installing Canon drivers, so I’m not sure if the YaST printer utility can cope with it (or not), or whether the driver will work with CUPS version installed with 11.4.

1. Did you manage to install the necessary drivers ok?

I note that the Canon CAPT Printer Driver for Linux can downloaded (as a tar.gz file) from here

Linux Printer Driver (CAPT) Ver.2.20

The 2 32-bit RPMs contained in the archive are

cndrvcups-common
cndrvcups-capt

Does the following command (as root) confirm they’re installed?

rpm -qa |grep cndrvcups
  1. Try using the CUPS http config tool via a browser

http://localhost:631/admin

In an effort to help you, I managed to install the RPMs from the the tar.gz file.

The driver packages can be downloaded from here:

*(http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010660.asp)

Once installed, I launched the CUPS web config interface, selected ‘Add Printer’, and ‘CAPT printer’ was in the list of local printers. Selecting that you can then add the connection manually

ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0

This Ubuntu guide contains info on this under ‘Adding a Printer’.

Give your printer a name, select model ‘Canon’, and ‘LBP3100’ model. Follow the instructions till complete.

Hopefully you will have a working printer by the end of this exercise. Don’t forget to start the ccpd daemon (as described in the Ubuntu guide).*

Thanks a lot Deano for your continued help, its really great to feel part of such a community!
I have installed the drivers ok i hope
the terminal output is

linux-ujs0:/home/khelawon # rpm -qa |grep cndrvcups
cndrvcups-capt-2.20-1.i386
cndrvcups-common-2.20-1.i386
linux-ujs0:/home/khelawon #

I have followed the ubuntu guide and have been able to print the first page from OpenSUSE Libre Office.
Thanks a million my friend!!
I just hope that Yast will be able to handle the Canon printers in the future. It really discourages beginners to stay with opensuse and linux for that matter if just to install a printer we have to do so many terminal operations.

I have followed the ubuntu guide and have been able to print the first page from OpenSUSE Libre Office.
Thanks a million my friend!!

My pleasure, and well done for persevering.

I just hope that Yast will be able to handle the Canon printers in the future. It really discourages beginners to stay with opensuse and linux for that matter if just to install a printer we have to do so many terminal operations.

I agree. The YaST printing tool seems to struggle with some drivers, and Canon is not using a standard print queue, as well as requiring the ccpd daemon to print. The CUPS web config tool is able to cope better with these situations. It would be worth submitting a bug report to bugzilla on this, as that is the only way it will get fixed.

I have one more question for you: Does ccpd start ok after a reboot, or have you taken steps to automate this yourself?