Pre-installation, harddisk imaging/backup for dual boot

i dont see it run chkdsk when i boot into windows.
is it possible that i could run live-linux and use wine to run chkdsk or something like that?

Were you asked “Would you like to reschedule a check next time the system restarts”?
And did you answer Y?

If that didn’t happen then you made a mistake and need to do it again.

yes it asked me and i answered Y.

So no mistake then. I wonder what could be happening. Hmmm… I.m now a wine person, don’t use it myself (prefer XXXX):wink:. There is a Linux equivalent, sets the filesyatem to run chkdsk at the next boot into windows, called ntfsfix. See here:
ntfsfix [www.linux-ntfs.org]
It’s part of ntfsprogs, which is installed on my system, so check in yours. Rub this command: rpm -qa | grep ntfs and look for like thois in the result: ntfsprogs-1.13.1-80.1.

Run it and reboot to windows and see if it forces a chkdsk.
ntfsfix /dev/sda1

nice! well after doing a dozen times of chkdsk /f to windows, it worked. and fortunately, i am able to resize my drive and install suse. but now the last problem is that when i reboot, my laptop said “error loading operating system.” what should i do? dd back the MBR i created earlier before installing suse 11.0?

If you dd the MBR back it will overwrite Grub in the MBR. I take it you get the Suse/Grub boot menu and that can boot into Suse OK but when you choose to boot into windows you get that error message? So please three things:
1: Confirm you installed Suse on the internal drive, first drive (or what did you do finally)?
2: List the partitions by opening a console, enter su to get rootly powers and enter the command fdisk -l. Copy/paste the dialogue that you get back here to the Forum.
3: Similarly paste the contents of the Grub menu file back here. It’s file menu.lst located at /boot.grub/menu.lst and you get it written into a console with this command:
sudo cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

i am not able to boot both windows and suse.

i installed suse on the laptop’s IDE internal drive (there is only one).

i used grub4dos to boot from floppy and fortunately it found ntldr of windows and booted windows successfully. it did not find suse with menu.lst installed. so right now i am able to go into windows. how can i make suse boot?

How we proceed depends whether you installed from a live CD or from the full install DVD. So
Which media did u use (CD or DVD) and which Desktop Environment (KDE4.0, KDE3.5.9, Gnome)?

Which media did u use (CD or DVD) and which Desktop Environment (KDE4.0, KDE3.5.9, Gnome)?

LiveCD for 32 bit PC
using default KDE 4.0

i just used a livecd to check the following:
fdisk:

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 30.0 GB, 30005821440 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3648 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 2611 20971520+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2 2612 2675 514080 82 Linux swap
/dev/hda3 * 2676 3648 7815622+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 1024 MB, 1024311808 bytes
32 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1008 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1984 * 512 = 1015808 bytes

This doesn’t look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 ? 1624681 1749016 123339962 78 Unknown
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(518, 102, 15) logical=(1624680, 26, 50)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(743, 0, 62) logical=(1749015, 15, 15)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 ? 218182 609151 387841909+ 10 OPUS
Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(205, 7, 0) logical=(218181, 0, 14)
Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(920, 235, 50) logical=(609150, 21, 34)
Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda3 ? 942320 1909674 959615034 8b Unknown
Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(260, 125, 54) logical=(942319, 26, 56)
Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(893, 46, 60) logical=(1909673, 22, 35)
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda4 ? 1908472 1912667 4161544 a OS/2 Boot Manager
Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(269, 111, 50) logical=(1908471, 23, 47)
Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(1912666, 27, 6)
Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

grub on suse:

Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sat Aug 23 19:08:54 EDT 2008

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,2)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-default root=/dev/sda3 resume=/dev/sda2 splash=silent showopts vga=0x314
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.5-1.1-default

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows###
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader (hd0,0)+1

###Don’t change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe – openSUSE 11.0
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.5-1.1-default root=/dev/sda3 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0 edd=off x11failsafe vga=0x314
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.25.5-1.1-default

when i plugged in a pcmcia device, the blue-screen of windows just now appeared. then i could no longer boot into windows (something wrong with partition table or couldnt reach ntldr). i then fixed this by dd-ing back the previously backed up MBR to the harddrive (previously meaning before installing suse). so now, i would think there are no suse boot things on the MBR.

OK you can put back windows boot any time with dd (or the win xp install cd too).

Suse’s menu.lst looks OK too, except perhaps need to edit this line [rootnoverify (hd0,2)] later, but let’s see what happens first.

So to reinstall Grub, boot off the KDE4 live CD. Open a terminal/console. Enetr su to get rootly powers. Then enter these commands:
grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)
quit

The dialogue from that exchange should indicate success. You can tell if there is a problem.

Reboot and you should be able to boot into Suse. Probably into windows too. If not windows too, then small tweak (but let’s see).

and ooops i checked the drive under windows harddrive manager utility, the partition table seems to be gone since it reported one full 27.94NTFS partition.

i cannot run grub under suse livecd because it does not mount my internal drive. instead i tried to install grub from grub4dos (boot from floppy) but unfortunately it hangs at setup (hd0).

one big thing is that i think the partition table is corrupt. if i restore the partition table to the previous state before installing suse, i can automatically boot into windows without any assistance from floppy.

are there any tools that could fix the partition table via windows or live-linux?

I have a hunch you are using a live CD from before the time of openSUSE 11.0. Which live CD are you running?

hey great news! i finally fixed it - by accident i think haha. i was attempting to install lilo and it updated the partition table instead. so its running on grub now its all working fine except when i go into the windows chainloader, i cant link it back to suse’s grub. thats just a small problem if it could be fixed, thats great, but if it cant, thats alright.

by the way, i am not sure about this but i think i screwed up the kernel thing by attempting to install my wireless card (w200, orinoco usb; which in tutorials like THIS says i need to configure my kernel, which i have no idea what that is). what should i do? or check/restore kernel/etc?

thank you so much for your time and guidance =]

Time has passed, so: I’m quite confused now as to whether you can boot to Suse and if you can as to how you boot to Suse. So just run through the steps you take to boot to Suse and to boot to windows.

Regarding the wireless question – start a separate thread in the Wireless Subforum of the Networking Forum – so you can get the attention/advice of the wireless geeks.

yes i can boot suse via grub! YAY. (i think the problem was because of the partition table not being updated) now suse is working great =]

thanks alot