Power Jack Issue? Dell Latitude d505

Battery completely died as result of using (I am sure) a charger from Radio Shack as the dell one was lost years ago. It served its purpose until now.

I went to a local repair store and got the same battery and proper powerpack (from dell). The computer fired up right away with the new battery and I walked out of the store. To my disappointment, the powerpack is not charging the battery at all, and I am about to be stuck again with no ability to power up the computer.

Google searches and Dells own website suggest flashing the bios, etc. as a first step, however, could it also be a setting in SUSE that I am not seeing, or perhaps the power jack is all of sudden not working? The light is steady on the powerpack as expected, just not charging. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Also, I am at work and unable to check/verify until later tonight any suggestions, so if you reply and do not see a response until late tonight, I appologize in advance.

Any assistance on trying to fix this issue before having to send it to someone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Google searches and Dells own website suggest flashing the bios, etc. as a first step, however, could it also be a setting in SUSE that I am not seeing, or perhaps the power jack is all of sudden not working? The light is steady on the powerpack as expected, just not charging. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Unlikely to be an OS problem. Almost cetainly a hardware issue. This is probably an internal charging circuitry problem, maybe just the internal socket on motherboard perhaps?

You may be aware of this website already

DELL AC power adapter not recognized | The Laptop Junction

A laptop repair troubleshooting guide

Laptop Repair - Troubleshooting Toshiba, Dell, HP, IBM, Acer and Sony laptops

Very Late post back, and I am very sorry for anyone who wondered about how this worked out.

I simply bought a Dell Docking Station of ebay for a about 25.00. Using the power from the docking station is allowing me to side step the power jack that would normally be used. It really surprised me it worked at all. I thought it was all tied together somehow, apparently not.