Postfix mysql unused parameter


I’m running postfix on Tumbleweed. I configured the mysql plugin to certain data to a database so PostfixAdmin can pick them up.
Since several weeks, when I check the journal for user postfix I see unused parameters for every line in the mySQL config lines:

warning: mysql:/etc/postfix/ unused parameter: hosts=

etc… etc… etc…

This used to work without errors. So I figure something has changed perhaps within Postfix, but all I can find regarding this subject are the same settings I already have.

Any ideas?

Watch fore these and try merging using sdiff:

erlangen:~ # ll $(rpmconfigcheck |grep postfix)
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31459 May 25 23:25 /etc/postfix/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7674 Mar 20 22:35 /etc/postfix/
-rw------- 1 root root   172 Feb 16 21:53 /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.rpmnew
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   412 Feb 16 21:53 /etc/postfix/sender_canonical.rpmnew
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12823 Feb 16 21:53 /etc/postfix/virtual.rpmnew
erlangen:~ # 

Hmm, ok Tnx. I’ll examine them again. Must have missed something.

I can’t find anything that shouldn’t be there. Ofc my files are more filled. As far as I can see, it’s all still in the postfix documentation.

Well, at some point I made a backup of /etc/postfix, deleted the directory and forced a reinstall. Actually I copied and from /var/adm/backup/postfix/, installed yast2 e-mail-server and everything was fine again.

Perhaps re-running mysql_secure_installation might fix your problem (It’s the install script that configures your mariadb/mysql security configuration).

The following web page I created describes what it is, and if you wish to create a HereDoc to standardize your configuration (Like your current situation, re-apply what you configured before, or if you’re installing and maintain a farm to apply the same settings to all).

Speculating if your MySQL was upgraded sometime, your security settings were lost but may still be running on default unconfigured settings.


Sorry for my late response, I was sick.

I’ll checkout what you both said, although, I don’t believe in reinstalling and than hoping the problem goes away. That doesn’t sound very logical to me. Especially when keeping the main and master files which most likely contain the wrong setting to begin with. Also, I didn’t configure postfix with yast.

It worked, and it stopped working without me touching it. So changes must have come with an update (guess).

I checked mariaDB. Settings are still there. All accounts work, other products connecting to a db are working also.
I can log in with my ‘superuser’ from the cli.

Also, if it was the database, you would get log in errors I think. Now it is clearly a Postfix error saying it just doesn’t understand the parameters.

The same problem here.
It started after Postfix update ftom 3.2.x to version 3.3.0 and I have not found a solution to get rid of these warnings.
Basically, everything works, only the log file is full of these warnings.
And warnings come when starting Postfix.
Has anyone found the cause of these warnings?


(sorry for your problem :wink: )

I found the problem!

At least for me. They changed the installation path.
You have to edit the /etc/postfix/ and change the line

daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix


daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix/bin

Oh… awesome. I’ll check it out and let you know. Thanks!

A quick search on the bugzilla returns these two submitted bugs, reported May and Jan of this year.

If neither looks like your error (I suspect is the case),
May be time to submit a bug of your own.


KarrAcarn]('s solution isn’t the one for me. This setting was already set as it should. If you would change it you’ll get totally different error’s by the way.

Now the second bugzilla link tsu2 provided is exactly the problem I have. Yes it offers no solution, they do suspect it is just visual yet still working. This I can confirm. The problem is that your logs are flooding with these errors from time to time.

All lines containing the string “mysql” are commented out:

hofkirchen:~ # grep mysql /etc/postfix/ 
#virtual_mailbox_domains = mysql:/etc/postfix/
#virtual_mailbox_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/
#virtual_mailbox_limit_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/
hofkirchen:~ # 

Thus uncommenting any of these will not change the value of the variable, but will only generate error messages flooding the logs.

Removing the path from the lines works.

instead of