Post your experience with 11.4 RC2 here ....

Couldn’t do any testing with the Nvidia driver crashing plasma after installation. The Nouveau is just no good when it comes to 3D which I do use. I hope they fix the Nvidia problem or I might have to leave 11.4 for a while. Will keep on testing tho.

Other than that it appears to be very good. KDE’s looking sweet and thanks to the pacman repo multi media actually works!

About graphics card drivers I don’t know because I don’t use them, only amd profiler chipchet and amdXorg nothing else. Anyway I will check it with Amd ati drivers.

I installed nvidia driver 270.29 with no problems.

I did a clean install of RC2 from the KDE Live x86_64 cd which went fine. The nouveau driver was installed by default with effects enabled, though some of the fancier effects like 3d cube were not available.

My wireless card still isn’t configured with auto configuration during installation. Maybe the problem is YaST defaults to static ip instead of DHCP.

The first time I tried to stream a flash video, the video streamed but there was no playback. I switched from gstreamer to Xine backend for phonon and then the video played fine. I never have good luck with gstreamer. The repos used for RC2 installs flash 10.1 instead of 10.2.

The start up sound and panel icons on the right side are delayed several seconds after the desktop loads. Is anyone else getting this?

Oh, and I’m missing the desktop wallpaper that was available in RC1 with the blue background and the bubbles. Does anyone know what this one is called?

Personally, I think nouveau feels a lot more stable with my GeForce 8600 GTS graphics card.

Why not switch to 64-bit?

I have to say that KMix falls short. A LOT!!

What happened to bass and treble settings?

Cheers!

Romanator

Romanator I have to say that KMix falls short. A LOT!!

What happened to bass and treble settings?

Cheers!

In openSUSE 11.4 with KDE 4.6, this all has to do with the usage of PulseAudio by default and it over simplification of the Audio setup. The new Kmix is what used to be called Kmix-Pulse in openSUSE 11.3. As opposed to trying to defeat Pulse, why not see if you can get a second mixer in the mix so to speak. I have found the program GMixer 1.3 to work with OK my sound card without doing away with Pulse. Perhaps your Treble and Base controls will be there as well. It is just a thought Romanator.

Thank You,

There’s a pretty serious issue if you are using btrfs on /: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=665899

I have gnome x86_64.
I can not disable bluetooth from notification area as normal user, as root I can. Opening network proxy settings freezes the desktop. All else is smooth.

In openSUSE 11.4 with KDE 4.6, this all has to do with the usage of PulseAudio by default and it over simplification of the Audio setup. The new Kmix is what used to be called Kmix-Pulse in openSUSE 11.3. As opposed to trying to defeat Pulse, why not see if you can get a second mixer in the mix so to speak. I have found the program GMixer 1.3 to work with OK my sound card without doing away with Pulse. Perhaps your Treble and Base controls will be there as well. It is just a thought Romanator.

At this point, I will try any type of mixer I can find. Thanks jdmcdaniel3

Our top agent of the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement that fights the enemies of peace, particularly the forces of THRUSH.

Cheers!

Romanator

Yes Romanator, as your local U.N.C.L.E. representative I make ever effort to keep you safe from the THRUSE (aka: Microsoft) agents that prowl our forum.rotfl!

Thank You,

My old canon camera is working as usb storage with RC2, in previous version need to install digikam to copy photos…

It appears for my Dell Studio 1537 laptop, there has been a regression in functionality in openSUSE-11.4 RC2 from what I observed on openSUSE-11.1 RC1.

Booting the laptop now with the 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 RC2 KDE4 liveCD without the nomodeset boot code results in a screen freeze with an ugly pattern across the screen. This freeze is even before run level 3 is reached (ie very shortly after the kernel load part of the boot process). Specifying TEXT or VESA makes no difference as the freeze is BEFORE the graphic driver loading starts (ie its not possible to get to run level 3 without nomodset being specified).

If one boots with the boot code ‘nomodeset’ then the PC boots ok to X (KDE4) but the radeonhd driver is used instead of the superior radeon driver.

Also, in this 11.4 RC2, the Intel Wifi Link 5300AGN wireless works poorly. I connected to Internet immediately, and launched Firefox, and played the welcome video in Firefox. My wife then demanded my attention, and when I came back 5 minutes later, wireless did not work for internet access. I could ping my router, but I could not access the router with Firefox nor could I access any internet site. When I disconnected and reconnected the wireless (using the icon in lower right corner - knetwork ?? ) it made no difference. I could NOT connect with the wireless.

In the end I plugged in the wired cable, which is what I have done now, to write this entry from the laptop.

Dell Studio 1537, laptop is a 64-bit P8400 with AMD mobility Radeon HD3450 graphics, w/4GB RAM. This laptop has mostly functioned well on all previous 11.4 releases until this RC2.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series [1002:95c4]
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:029f]

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 [8086:4235]
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1121]
        Kernel driver in use: iwlagn

My wife is calling for my attention, so I need to run again. I may raise a couple of bug reports later.

That should read, I could NOT connect with the wireless.

OK, this is interesting. With the 64-bit openSUSE-11.4 RC2 KDE4 liveCD, if I boot with ‘nomodeset’ X (KDE4) comes up with the radeonhd driver. If I then open a terminal and with root permissions type ‘init 3’ that takes me to run level 3. Then if I edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file, and uncomment the ‘radeon’ driver entry (such that the radeon driver is loaded) , save, and then type ‘init 5’ I note that X (KDE4) comes back, with the radeon driver loaded and superior performance.

So there is a problem with 11.4 RC2 with this laptop’s hardware (I suspect kernel) that nomodeset will work around, but it appears not to be the graphic driver, because I can indirectly load the radeon graphic driver via ‘init 3’ , uncomment radeon in 50-device.conf followed by ‘init 5’.

Unfortunately thou, this wireless hiccup if not random, could be blocking on my installing 11.4 on this laptop. Having good wireless is essential for me and currently 11.3 works well with wireless for me.

Downloaded “openSUSE-NET-Build0012-i586.iso” twice. Each time the md5sum is correct and burned correctly. Using “Check Installation Media” option at Grub CD boot, the routine will find a “checksum error” towards the end of the CD check. If doing a regular boot, a hard hang will be noted during the “loading 2 of 6” step, both CDs. Hope this helps.

On this boot problem I raised bug report https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=675430

I have not installed my ati drivers in my computer maybe they are not stable.

Apologies, but I do not see the relevance of that comment. With modern ATI hardware, openSUSE-11.4 (and 11.3) will by default boot to the radeon driver. If one specifies ‘nomodeset’ it will boot to the radeonhd driver. Just what ATI driver are you talking about ??? Note I made no reference to any use of the proprietary ATI driver.

Can you clarify your comment because as it stands it is not relevant and it simply confuses things.

Yes of course I had problems in my system with ati drivers when I made my upgrade to opensuse 11.3 I had problems with drivers, my mouse pointer trembled. Anyway this problem I fixed it unistalling these drivers. I want to know, are ati drivers stable?
Because last week I bought the new AMD ATI RADEON 6970 and I look for stable drivers for opensuse.