Possible stack overflow with Intel 4965AGN

Hey all,

I’m running 11.1 on a Dell INspiron 1525 with a 2.6.27.21-0.1-default kernel. My 4965AGN seems to work okay for normal web surfing. However, when I VPN into work and use rdesktop or the nx client to connect, my system will periodically lock up (it’s seems to be worse with rdesktop). The caps lock and another lock (not number lock) lights start blinking and the wireless light blinks steadily. The behavior reminds me of an old issue with stack size and wireless in the kernel (but I may be way off). If it is stack size, which file needs to be modified to increase it?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

COGClerk02 wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I’m running 11.1 on a Dell INspiron 1525 with a 2.6.27.21-0.1-default
> kernel. My 4965AGN seems to work okay for normal web surfing. However,
> when I VPN into work and use rdesktop or the nx client to connect, my
> system will periodically lock up (it’s seems to be worse with rdesktop).
> The caps lock and another lock (not number lock) lights start blinking
> and the wireless light blinks steadily. The behavior reminds me of an
> old issue with stack size and wireless in the kernel (but I may be way
> off). If it is stack size, which file needs to be modified to increase
> it?

That 1 Hz blinking of the caps lock means that the kernel has had a fatal error.
I doubt that it is stack overflow. In any case, the stack size is set when the
kernel is generated. Only x86 architecture has an option of 4KB or 8KB. The
kernel developers are very careful with stack usage. Only the Windows drivers
used in ndiswrapper need an 8K stack with i386.

This kind of kernel abort is the hardest to find. If you have a system that can
ssh in and be running a ‘sudo tail -f /var/log/messages’, you might capture the
start of the oops.

One other option is to install the compat-wireless package for your system. The
Intel people have made numerous changes to their drivers. Perhaps they have
fixed this problem.

Thanks for the input. I installed the compat package and the latest firmware. I still get the same result :-(. What I have is useable unless I’m running over VPN. That’s when I get the lockup. I’m not sure where to go from here. I’ll see if I can log in externally to get some kernel messages (if the system is up well enough).

The problems I’m having may be related to a weak signal issue. The apps I’m using over VPN can push a lot of packets. The network manager applet shows me at only 2 bars when my router is only 10-15 feet away in the same room. I’ve noticed other posts about signal issues. Any thoughts on how I can improve this? I’ve updated the compat-wireless with 2.6.30-rc4 modules without any noticeable difference.