Possible Browser related issue

Like clockwork for over a month now, I’ve had Novell Login problems once a week, usually most of the day on Sunday but now today (Monday) also. I’m able to arrive at the Novell Login page, enter my credentials and click the submit button. The browser never receives a response and eventually times out.

Just did a little more experimenting instead of just giving up, I disabled all the security plugins I normally run in Firefox, with no change.

On a whim, I fired up Chrome (not Chromium) and I was able to login immediately!
Retested on Firefox, still no joy.
Logged in using Chrome again immediately!

So, the circumstantial evidence seems to be that the the Novell web login authentication has a browser related problem, specifically relating to Firefox.

openSUsE 12.1
Firefox 13.0 (fully updated)
Chrome 17.0.963.46

HtH,
TS

So first off, I have seen and had log in problems in this very forum, but I have not seen any in a while. So my advice is to clear out all cookies and off line content in Firefox and make sure you are up to date as I have 14.0.1 right now which I assume is the latest. We take forum issue seriously but Its possible, your Firefox issue is local in nature, this time.

Thank You,

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:16:02 +0000, tsu2 wrote:

> On a whim, I fired up Chrome (not Chromium) and I was able to login
> immediately!
> Retested on Firefox, still no joy.
> Logged in using Chrome again immediately!
>
> So, the circumstantial evidence seems to be that the the Novell web
> login authentication has a browser related problem, specifically
> relating to Firefox.

I think I can explain what you’re seeing to some extent at least.

There are a group of access manager devices (“MAGs”, which is a form of
“Access Gateway” IIRC), and once you establish a session with one with
your browser, then unless there’s a failure of the MAG you’ve connected
to, you’ll keep using it.

If you connect with a different browser there’s a chance that you connect
to a different MAG, and thus can have a different experience.

My best guess (and if you could get the VIA reply headers from each
browser the next time you see it, that would help us determine if that’s
the case - and maybe help us identify a MAG that’s having problems) is
that you’re connecting to a different MAG and in your case, the chrome
browser is connecting to a ‘good’ one, and the FF browser is connecting
to one that’s having problems (perhaps load-related or some other issue).

FWIW, I do my testing when I’m looking at performance issues from home
using Chrome - and I do occasionally see slowness on login.

We’re pretty sure the root cause is a layer 4 appliance, and the process
is underway (and has been for a few weeks - there was an unexpected delay
that I think has now been resolved, but I’ll need to check on that
tomorrow) to replace it. The appliance in question only affects IPv4, so
if you can try with IPv6, it would be useful to have some concrete data
from IPv6 connected clients (I can’t test that myself as my ISP isn’t
IPv6 capable, and I haven’t had time to tunnel over IPv4 to see if that
ever has the issue - but if I did, if there was an issue it’d be
difficult to isolate to not being related to something about the 6-in-4
tunnel).

So with FF, using httpfox, you can get the Via reply header - with
Chrome, the developer tools (ctrl+shift+I). In both cases, they should
be running before you load the page, so if you get something
reproducible, start it up and reload the page or revisit it.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Will continue to look for a re-occurrence.

For now, with the latest update to the latest Firefox browser may have addressed the problem, or something else may have happened. Today, I was able to login without issue on a day I regularly was unable in the past. I had been regularly checking for updates (including FF) twice a week regularly, so <if> the problem was browser-related (and I suppose that might nave been certain, either), only the latest (v14) seems to resolve what I was experiencing.

I don’t think that any client-side debugging tools would be effective, the problem simply was that no reply was received after submitting credentials, the session simply eventually timed out. I’m pretty sure some response needs to be received before anything can be analyzed.

TS

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:46:02 +0000, tsu2 wrote:

> I don’t think that any client-side debugging tools would be effective,
> the problem simply was that no reply was received after submitting
> credentials, the session simply eventually timed out. I’m pretty sure
> some response needs to be received before anything can be analyzed.

It’s possible a wireshark trace might yield some useful results - but
yes, if no response is received, then there wouldn’t be any headers to
analyze, that’s certainly true.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C