Port forwarding via wireless interface

I have encountered this; want to know if you have seen this as well:

In simple WiFi routers for home use, ports are not forwarded if the connection from router to computer is over WLAN.

Forwarding over Ethernet connection works as it should.

This is kind of short on information.

Are you allocating fixed IP addresses? Or at least using MAC address to make the target device always to have the same IP?

Computer requests fixed IP address from router. I didn’t see a need to tap into MAC addresses.

With DHCP set in router, you would need to have the router assign a static address tied to a specific MAC address, to reserve that address for that MAC only.

How you would do that depends on the brand and model of your router. Go to your router manufacturer’s website for help with that, if you cannot find it in the router screens.

There is yet another method available to you: you can set the IP yourself in the Linux network config file and you may then leave the router out of the IP allocation process. For example, suppose the router had an IP of 192.168.5.1 and it was supplying DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.5.50 to 192.168.5.150. You would set the IP in Linux to a fixed IP outside of the DHCP range. In this example, set it like at 192.168.5.2 with a default IP gateway of 192.168.5.1. Then in the router (on address http://192.168.5.1) you set the port forward to target the IP 192.168.5.2.

The configuration in Linux is found in Yast ==> System ==> Network settings ==> edit device

Do you mean this as a general statement? Then there is the problem of defining what a “simple WiFi routers for home use” is and what not. I am e.g. sure that my router can do this (it will not discriminate between cable and Wifi) and I would call it at least a type for home use (not for commercial computer rooms). I doubt about calling it “simple”.

When you mean that you have a router where you think it does not have this feature, then please be more specific and give brand and type. Only then is there a chance that someone using the same make and type can confirm this or tell that you are wrong and how you should do it.

Thanks to all, I followed the advice and managed to forward ports over wireless connection.

I had several things wrong, one was not using fixed IP addresses.

For some reason I was under impression that port forwarding does not work over wireless connection, but works over Ethernet.

I am still not fully convinced, though, but will check myself when I get to a router on which a year ago I also couldn’t forward.

The classic port forwarding for old routers is the one I described in my second post in this thread. I’m using it now to broadcast an apache2 web to the Net using a wireless USB stick (D-Link dwa-160) and router port forwarding. This method has worked with wireless in my memory back to about 2007 or so.

Cable or wireless has nothing to do with port forwarding. They are on a quite different layer in the datacommunication model. As long as you can send TCP/IP packages over a connection, being it cable, wireless, donkey, satalite or poney express (or Ghan for you Aussies), you can forward those packages.

Well I knew that since I “rode the Ghan” along the fabled Overland Telegraph of 1872, the forerunner of Linux communications. That’s how long we Aussies have known … … … better stop now I think

I would love to see it. As I visited Afhganisatn (1976, before all problems started), I found the connection between that country and the Aussie’s Ghan fascinating.