Poll: Forums Archive, do we still need it?

I think that’s an exaggeration. If you answer a technical question you do so in the knowledge that your answer is provisional and subject to becoming outdated.

What about a middle option? Offload them to another (smaller and slower) server and then allow people to spend as long as it takes to copy / update still relevant posts back to this one as a community effort. After a few years, presumably the traffic will have dropped to near nothing on the other server, and you can roll it all up in a tar.gz for historians to dust off, or just delete it.

This statement can be expanded to virtually everything else such as “if you buy a new car now, you know it will become outdated/broken at some point and parts for it will become increasingly difficult to find”. This, however, will not stop you at present time in buying the car, even when you know that at some point in the future it’ll become outdated. Same goes for the archives which have many useful tips, tricks, advices, etc still very much valid for (basic) Linux stuff in general and I doubt that stuff will change so much in the near future that it’ll become obsolete in a second. If and when it does, then you can throw it away. I can agree that if most of the useful information is moved over to the wiki or somewhere else, the archives can be deleted. But just deleting them without looking at them is a bit too much, IMO.

• FeatherMonkey wrote, On 07/14/2009 05:46 PM:
    > Christ just over one year gone and there is a need for real estate

No there isn’t. We have plenty of diskspace. No worries.

Uwe

On 7/14/2009 2:05 PM, Uwe Buckesfeld wrote:
> * FeatherMonkey wrote, On 07/14/2009 05:46 PM:
>> Christ just over one year gone and there is a need for real estate
>
> No there isn’t. We have plenty of diskspace. No worries.
>
> Uwe
To add, I was thinking real estate screen-wise, not disk-wise.

Oh fair enough but then if that is the case then IMO going on views then OBS meet the requirements before archives, you only have to see how little activity they see.(Though perhaps 1mth is too short to access projects)

assess not access.

So, you must have an old skeleton in the archives that you are desperate to remove. :\ Hmm. I wonder what incriminating evidence lurks there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t be too kean to burn the old learned books. Remember Fahrenheit 451?

I still think some middle ground - move the archives to a less prominent link, perhaps on a different domain, perhaps somewhere that isn’t google indexed but is still searchable for people who want to search it. The questions that it was addressing will suddenly start showing up in this forum, and people can migrate across the still useful posts.

• consused wrote, On 07/15/2009 12:36 AM:

> So, you must have an old skeleton in the archives that you are
> desperate to remove. :\ Hmm. I wonder what incriminating evidence lurks
> there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I could tell you, but I’d have to kill you then :wink:

What 69_rs_ss said: It’s just about (maybe) useless information wasting space on the start page.

Uwe

Ugh, how is it useless when this forum is just one year old so the last up to date information in the archives will be a tiny bit over a year old? Do you really think that so much has changed that all of the information has suddenly become useless during this time? I highly very much doubt that. Also keep in mind that a lot other forums, technical and non-technical, keep archives for a reason and it’s not just out of nostalgia :wink:

As I said previously, on many occasions I have seen more than once new users and guests browse through the archives and me too was digging through them some months back when I couldn’t remember something about buffer sizes for XFS filesystems, which I very much remember our ex-user ‘broch’ wrote about and explained in the past

+1 to keep. I find it a valuable reference, at the very least, to serve as a starting point to fixing problems.

This is how I like to think of older information: Even though the info may be outdated, most of the new stuff is based off of the old stuff. Therefore, if you are experiencing a problem that has characteristics similar to a problem experienced with an older version, chances are whatever fix worked in the older version will either a) work also or b) lead you to a new fix.

That being said, I agree perhaps a survey like this should be done periodically to re-evaluate the community’s stance.

I don’t know how feasible it would be, but what if we could delete content based on age?

On 07/15/2009 microchip8 wrote:
> Ugh, how is it useless when this forum is just one year old so the
> last up to date information in the archives will be a tiny bit over a
> year old? Do you really think that so much has changed that all of
> the information has suddenly become useless during this time?

You shouldn’t assume that I’m thinking at all <G>

Seriously, the issue was brought up in a discussion amongst the mods, I suggested to ask our forum members. Hence the poll. That’s all. If you guys need the archive, that’s fine. You decide.

Uwe

Hi,

Those archives represent a lot of work from many people who took the time to answer many question about OpenSuSE latter versions.
Just for this they should be maintained.
Also many of the topics apply to current distributiona nd to All Sorts of Linux distros.
They should be keept no doubt about it!

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro,

see Kim’s message in the announcement forum. The archives are still there, but not directly linked. A search will include the archives.

Uwe

Hi,

I have seen the news section … for the record my opinion is the following: → It is a _ Really _ _ Bad _ Idea good folks.

Sorry, on this one I can not simply agree … even if the archives were not used frequently and 1000 times more hits goes to the current forums they are still important.
And it really costs nothing to make the links available in the end of the page … Hey … reduce the links text size if it bothers …

Regards,
Pedro

hello! they are STILL freely open and available…you can easily find
them through a search at google or using the forums search engine…

goldie

however: that was the intention, but it currently broken…hopefully
they will SOON be again available via search…

goldie