policies and knetworkmanager

HI
That’s was allready set since a long time.
It is not the reason sorry

On 09/21/2012 03:56 PM, Enthalpie wrote:

> if there is a windows on the screen it is because I use virtual box for
> some programs unavailable under linux

i wonder if network manager reacts the same if VBox is not running?

oh…oh well with all your experience i’m sure you already considered
any potential problems that might be encountered when using non-ascii
characters in your root password and are taking them and your KDE
keyboard settings into account and KDE is ‘seeing’ correctly, and
passing faithfully the exact characters needed to authenticate…

i think the error you reported in your third post is probably related
to this problem, but i have no idea how to clear it…did you “see
systemctl status networkmanager.service dor détails”, maybe your smile
will come from one of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=“see+systemctl+status+networkmanager.service+for+details”

i wonder: was /var/log/NetworkManager or /var/log/messages helpful?

it is pretty clear from your screen shot that it is in fact asking for
the root password, and since it is impossible for you not type it
correctly then i’m at a loss to be helpful…so, i’m out of this thread…

maybe you should try the openSUSE mail list??

dd

Hi
anyway i thank’s you for trying to help me
great
i have post part of var/log/message and it is funny message is something like stop without reason

Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Activation (wlan1/wireless): association took too long.
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: <info> (wlan1): device state change: config -> need-auth (reason ‘none’) [50 60 0]
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Activation (wlan1/wireless): asking for new secrets
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Activation (wlan1/wireless): association took too long.
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: NetworkManager[4603]: <info> (wlan1): device state change: config -> need-auth (reason ‘none’) [50 60 0]
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Activation (wlan1/wireless): asking for new secrets
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: <info> (wlan1): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: NetworkManager[4603]: <info> (wlan1): supplicant interface state: authenticating -> disconnected
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Couldn’t disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not connected.
Sep 20 15:19:50 HP620-linux NetworkManager[4603]: NetworkManager[4603]: <warn> Couldn’t disconnect supplicant interface: This interface is not

Do you have kwallet managing secrets?

No
I have try to use it but with it i just have two windows one for kwallet password and after one for knetworkmanager (polkit ? ) an allways the same problem Polkit or networkmanager does’nt want the root password

I try something working in some case.
I put DVD of 12.1 and run update version.
with that it ask to me to delete compat-wireless mad-wifi rtl8192se-kmp-defaut
kernel-defautl

after update or install of some package (polkit-defaut-priv, mobile broadband provider … ) reboot i got !!! the same problem so ??

Create a new user login
Login and try the connection with this new account, remember to make it a system connection (see image I posted)
This time, when kwallet asks, enter a master password for kwallet, continue to create the connection, kwallet will ask for your master password now and it will do so each time you login.

after a good night !
HI
I did that yesterday. this was not good. so I said try again today with changes i made may be it will be good ?.
so I want to delete the user et make a new one with same name ( i allways use test for login in this case)
and in yast i can’t delete it because "user is loging ? !) I llok at process running and saw test with diamond running see screenshot
SUSE Paste
I NEVER got that ??

So i kiil theses , deleted it et create again user test

i login with test and want to manage connection but i again got password screen from policykit !!!

regards

So i kiil theses , deleted it et create again user test

i login with test and want to manage connection but i again got password screen from policykit !!!

That is normal behaviour, but with this new user account, was your root password accepted?

hi
when i deleted user test i did that with directory erasing …

Of corse NO !!!
I hope we will find what
chears

and in yast i can’t delete it because "user is loging ? !) I llok at process running and saw test with diamond running see screenshot
SUSE Paste
I NEVER got that ??

That ‘demond’ daemon is part of the Lexmark printer drivers AFAIU. A nuisance, and will fill up /var/log/messages with it’s insatiable logging, but not part of the problem reported here.

Lexmark drivers are pure puke/crap, demond, what is it doing? at Velmont Tech

Try this. Navigate to /etc/sysconfig/security, and look for the entry '‘POLKIT_DEFAULT_PRIVS=…’

Mine for reference

POLKIT_DEFAULT_PRIVS="standard"

There is also a ‘PERMISSION_SECURITY=…’ entry

PERMISSION_SECURITY="easy local"

If yours are different, change them, to match the above, then run the following command (as root)

/sbin/set_polkit_default_privs

Let’s see if this makes a difference.

OK I just install new lexmark printer 4 days ago so …
thank’s for explanation

Hi

POLKIT_DEFAULT_PRIVS=“standard” was empty I change to standard but steel have policies windows message for root password

these value is empty too
CHECK_POLKIT_PRIVS=""

regards

I’d like to see what polkit reports when you enter the root password while trying to edit your wireless connection. To do that, open a terminal, then do

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

Now, proceed to get the polkit authorization…

When I do this, I get the following successful message reported by /var/log/messages

Sep 22 22:26:16 linux-akl polkitd(authority=local): Operator of unix-session:/org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Session1 successfully authenticated as unix-user:root to gain TEMPORARY authorization for action org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system for system-bus-name::1.64 [kdeinit4: kcmshell4 [kdeinit] --icon networkmanager kcm_networ] (owned by unix-user:dean)

Lets relax the network management policies for you. You can edit (as root, with nano or vi for example) ‘/etc/polkit-default-privs.local’ to include the following policies

org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.own auth_admin:auth_admin:yes
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.system auth_admin:auth_admin:yes

then run

for the changes to take effect.

Now you should no longer be prompted for modifying the wireless connection.

Hi
I have change file polkit …
and when i run

I got that
SUSE Paste
chears

Okay, and can you now modify your wireless connection okay?

These could also be relaxed to allow system connection use without root authorization

org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.wifi.share.protected auth_admin:auth_admin:yes
org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.wifi.share.open auth_admin:auth_admin:yes

Add them to the same file and run ‘set_polkit_default_privs’ again as before.

Hi did what you want.
I have cut into messages file because lexmark “nake” the file with lot of lines !!!

message too long i put it in suse paste
SUSE Paste