Please share experience with SD card 'drive' use in Linux

In particular I think that specification is relevant if you disconnect the SSD and put it in a cupboard. However in real use, it may be that the controller will refresh a cell whenever it’s read so even something like a regular backup will prevent you from ever hitting that limitation.

It Has been a while, The SSD for me has been a smooth transition i found on my linux system to be faster and i have had no problems so far, at the same time i had to give up space due to they are more costly than the traditional drives.

Just a thought, as I am also actively considering an SSD to be used solely as a boot drive (around 40Gb is all I can afford, 64Gb at best): obviously, /root will go there, but why not also /home to speed up the frequent accesses to configuration files etc, BUT move all data out of /home to another partition on a traditional HD, such as /data, /video or whatever? Is there some obvious flaw in my assumption that this would give the best of both worlds, i.e. only small SSD needed with maximum speedup for boot time and application launches?

Just a thought, as I am also actively considering an SSD to be used solely as a boot drive (around 40Gb is all I can afford, 64Gb at best): obviously, /root will go there, but why not also /home to speed up the frequent accesses to configuration files etc, BUT move all data out of /home to another partition on a traditional HD, such as /data, /video or whatever? Is there some obvious flaw in my assumption that this would give the best of both worlds, i.e. only small SSD needed with maximum speedup for boot time and application launches?
For what it is worth, I do suggest you wait to afford a 64 or 80 GB SSD drive. The startup of openSUSE provides the most dramatic effect. Placing /home onto a SSD seems to provide 10-15% speedup of heavy duty data tasks such as compiles. Modifying Firefox to use SSD disk space over memory also oddly provides a speed up of it as well. Recently a local retailer had a 128 GB Cousair SATA III SSD drive on sale for $205 plus tax, after rebate, so slowly, the very high prices are coming down.

Thank You,

I’ve got the entire laptop’s content, i.e. “/”, “/home” on the 64GB SSD. Don’t know what people do on a laptop, but I don’t need my entire music collection on it for example. Indeed prices are slowly going down, and now that more and more manufacturers are putting them in their devices, I think we’ll see a further drop.

Why? My current /root partition has all of 6Gb or so in it, plenty of room for the above approach with some to spare (probably a good idea to leave some space on the SSD). All the data can go on the 1.5TB of fast SATA platters in the machine. Don’t really know what I’d do with >40Gb…

I see there is a thread just started on fstab and ssd in the factory mailing list: [opensuse-factory] SSD detection when creating first time fstab ?](http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2011-06/msg00061.html)
and I quote from that :

Seems to me you could tell a SSD drive by checking its rotational speed which is reported as a 1 or 0 as I recall, but I can’t remember where I read that. I bet that Please_Try_Again could figure out how to figure that information out. Perhaps even a script could be used to tell the story on a SSD.

Thank You,